Is there a way to copy or move local files without going to a different machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koodeta

Cadet
To clarify, I want to copy or transfer files on a CIFS share between different folders. However, when I do this the file itself is sent to my remote laptop or desktop. The two files are in different jails (moving from Transmission to Plex) and I'm just doing it through Windows. Is there a way to do this simply in a GUI without having to SSH into the server and transfer from there?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If using smb3 you can do server side copy as long as you are transferring the data within the same share. If using smb2 you can use robo copy. Those are your two options without using the CLI. If you want to learn more look up 'smb server side copy'.

koodeta

Cadet
I understand now, I misinterpreted things. I was thinking that I was an intermediary for the copying, rather than just getting information on the progress of the copy itself. Thanks!

koodeta

Cadet
Man up and learn a few CLI commands....

The CLI commands aren't what I'm wanting though... If I wanted to use CLI I'd use CLI. Copying something through the GUI is significantly easier and faster than doing it through SSH. That was the end goal.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It is?

That's weird because it is really easy for me to copy through CLI....

Status
Not open for further replies.