Is there a Supermicro Mini-ITX MB recommended for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
I'm wanting to upgrade the hardware in my FreeNAS server with a Supermicro board. But, would prefer to use the same case that fits Mini-ITX.

I see that they do sell Mini-ITX options. But, am a bit lost as to which models would be most suitable for FreeNAS. Especially unclear for me is how to compare processor capabilities across all options (integrated, sockets, etc.).

This system is for heavy home use. Stream/transcode video across the network, back up many machines, etc. I'm hoping there is something solid within the $200 or less range that won't be too behind to run some new feature in a year.

ian351c

Patron
AFAIK Supermicro doesn't offer an ITX motherboard that will do ECC RAM (maybe they do for Core i3, but then you won't be doing much transcoding with an i3). ECC RAM is really what you want for something like a NAS, where you're putting all your eggs (data) in one basket and a bad bit of RAM could ruin your whole day. The ASRock ITX motherboards are pretty popular here in the forums. Look around for what people are using for their builds.

sremick

Patron
I just built a system w/ an ASRock Mini-ITX board and have had zero issues so far. My only complaint is that it maxes out at 16GB RAM.

Have you considered the Supermicro Mini ITX A1SAI-2750F board?
I'm looking at using it in my build, so even if you've ruled it out I'd be interested in hearing why.

Edit: It is above the price range you through out there but has an Intel Atom built-in.

indivision

Guru
I just built a system w/ an ASRock Mini-ITX board and have had zero issues so far. My only complaint is that it maxes out at 16GB RAM.

Which model?

With how many simultaneous transcoding streams do you plan?

I'd like it to be powerful enough to handle two comfortably. If for example one family member is watching a movie in one room and another at the same time in a different room.

Have you considered the Supermicro Mini ITX A1SAI-2750F board?
I'm looking at using it in my build, so even if you've ruled it out I'd be interested in hearing why.

Edit: It is above the price range you through out there but has an Intel Atom built-in.

I did come across that one. But, wondered if there was another with maybe slightly fewer onboard features at a lower cost. For example, that appears to have a zillion RJ-45 ports. I only need one for the network and another for IPMI. I'm also clueless as to how to understand how powerful that CPU is. It is definitely on my radar. Maybe top of the list actually after considering CPU or Chassis cost, etc. with alternatives... Here are the options I've come across and costs:

Upgrade Option 1:

ASRock C2750D4I $398
Crucial 16GB RAM $179

Total: $577

-------

Upgrade Option 2:

Supermicro X9SXM-F $179
Fractal Design Node 304 (to accommodate different MB size) $90
Samsung (is this the right one to use?) 16GB RAM $205
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 $225

Total: $699

------

Upgrade Option 3:

Supermicro A1SAI-2750F $375
Hynx 16GB RAM (is this the best deal?) - $320

Total: $695

--------

What is the deal with RAM for these boards? I want to steer a million miles away from the possibility of having incompatible RAM. But, the only sticks listed as tested on Supermicros site seem more obscure than the RAM I see people using in their builds on this board... Is there another list of compatible sticks with more options?

sremick

Patron

indivision

Guru
See my sig

Thank you. Another interesting alternative. I don't think I need that beefy of a CPU. So, with that MB, I see this as the option:

ASRock E3C226D2I - $225
Crucial 16GB RAM - $179
Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 - $252

Total: $656

-----

I think it boils down to which CPU in all of these variations is the best? How does the atom on the above supermicro compare to the e3-1231 V3?

Also, the evaluation could be a little off if there is less expensive RAM that will work?

marbus90

Guru
2 transcoding streams shouldn't be a problem, even for the C2550. A Core i3 is in the same ballpark as the C2750, or even above that - and the C2750 handles 3 transcoding streams at 60% load.

But if you want to stay with S.1150, you might want to take a look at the E3C224D2I.

indivision

Guru
Thank you. What would be the benefit of staying with S.1150?

Is there a variation that is like A1SAI-2750F but with a C2550 (that is less expensive presumably)?

marbus90

Guru
A1SAi-2550F would that be.

S.1150 has better singlethreaded performance, still idles pretty low, personal taste.

Which model?

I'd like it to be powerful enough to handle two comfortably. If for example one family member is watching a movie in one room and another at the same time in a different room.

I did come across that one. But, wondered if there was another with maybe slightly fewer onboard features at a lower cost. For example, that appears to have a zillion RJ-45 ports. I only need one for the network and another for IPMI. I'm also clueless as to how to understand how powerful that CPU is. It is definitely on my radar. Maybe top of the list actually after considering CPU or Chassis cost, etc. with alternatives... Here are the options I've come across and costs:

Upgrade Option 1:

ASRock C2750D4I $398
Crucial 16GB RAM $179

Total: $577

-------

Upgrade Option 2:

Supermicro X9SXM-F $179
Fractal Design Node 304 (to accommodate different MB size) $90
Samsung (is this the right one to use?) 16GB RAM $205
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 $225

Total: $699

------

Upgrade Option 3:

Supermicro A1SAI-2750F $375
Hynx 16GB RAM (is this the best deal?) - $320

Total: $695

--------

What is the deal with RAM for these boards? I want to steer a million miles away from the possibility of having incompatible RAM. But, the only sticks listed as tested on Supermicros site seem more obscure than the RAM I see people using in their builds on this board... Is there another list of compatible sticks with more options?

From my research I decided to go with a motherboard with the Atom CPU built-in. It's the CPU used in the new FreeNAS Mini, and reviews of that device have shown that it can handle everything I can imagine throwing at it. I believe they actually use the asrock version of the motherboard, but I decided to go with the Supermicro version because it adds 2 extra NICs for about the same cost (about $10 cheaper actually). I probably won't need them either, but it's hard to argue with saving money to get them.
I compared the Atom to other options like the Xeon and i3. From what I saw they outperform it in single threaded tasks, but are less energy efficient and have less cores. I think having more cores is important to my build because CIFS and SMB are single threaded. But that is just a hypothesis, as this is my first FreeNAS build.

Tywin

Contributor
The Supermicro boards (A1SAi-2550F and A1SAi-2750F) also have an internal Type A USB port (great for boot device) and can use an external power supply (less useful for a NAS). The downside is that they use SO-DIMMs, while the ASRock boards use regular DIMMs.

sremick

Patron
The Supermicro boards (A1SAi-2550F and A1SAi-2750F) also have an internal Type A USB port (great for boot device)

My ASRock MB has one of these too. Plugged a Mushkin Atom USB flash drive into it and it's almost like it's not there.

sremick

Patron

indivision

Guru
From my research I decided to go with a motherboard with the Atom CPU built-in. It's the CPU used in the new FreeNAS Mini, and reviews of that device have shown that it can handle everything I can imagine throwing at it. I believe they actually use the asrock version of the motherboard, but I decided to go with the Supermicro version because it adds 2 extra NICs for about the same cost (about $10 cheaper actually). I probably won't need them either, but it's hard to argue with saving money to get them.
I compared the Atom to other options like the Xeon and i3. From what I saw they outperform it in single threaded tasks, but are less energy efficient and have less cores. I think having more cores is important to my build because CIFS and SMB are single threaded. But that is just a hypothesis, as this is my first FreeNAS build.

Thank you for that. I'm leaning heavily toward the same board.

What are the RAM options? Based on build posts, it seems like there options known to be compatible that aren't on the official tested RAM list.

Anyone know if any of this equipment is likely to go on sale over the holiday? Maybe RAM?

derekzchu

Dabbler
How is your build with the Supermicro A1SAI-2750F?

Status
Not open for further replies.