Is / still read-only in 11.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabbler
just wondering if / is still read-only in 11.2, such that I'd have to do a 'mount -uw /" prior to making changes in /root/.ssh/, and then do a 'mount -ur /' afterward.

i tried doing this, and when i log in via .ssh i get the following error message:

Code:
zsh: locking failed for /root/.zsh-histfile: read-only file system: reading anyway

I'd just like to confirm that the mount read-write and mount read-only dance is still required when making modifications to /, and if so, what that error message is all about. i seem to remember reading somewhere that it was not necessary any more, but i'd like to check on that.

thanks.

PS - I understand the perils of root ssh, but i'm only using it while i set up a new box, so no warnings about this are really necessary. :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
just wondering if / is still read-only in 11.2
No. That hasn't been the case since 9.3 (and even before that, I'm not sure it was necessary to remount read/write to make changes in /root--but it most certainly is not now).

Dabbler
So any changes that I make via the shell will survive a reboot without doing the read-write / read-only dance? I'm surprised to hear that, as when I log in via SSH the shell's MOTD explicitly states that any changes that I make will not survive a reboot.

danb35

Hall of Famer
shell's MOTD explicitly states that any changes that I make will not survive a reboot.
The MOTD is more than a little misleading in that regard. The root filesystem has been a live ZFS pool since 9.3 was released over four years ago. It's correct that system configuration changes will (at least mostly) be reverted as configuration files are built out of the configuration database on reboot. But files in the root user's home directory aren't touched as far as I can tell (and certainly authorized_keys isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.