Is it worth it for a noob to upgrade to v11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I learned enough to get v9 installed over a year ago. Since then, things have been running fine.
Is it worth it for someone with very little knowledge of FreeNAS to attempt to upgrade to v11?

I'm sure there are guides on how to do it, but is it an upgrade-in-place process or a start-from-scratch process?

Thanks for any advice!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It is an in-place process. Which version of 9 are you on now? If it is a recent version of 9 and things are working okay, there is no urgent need to upgrade. Many people like to wait for a while so a new version is widely tested before upgrading, too.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Thanks. I'm currently on 9.10.2-U6, which I think is the last stable version of 9.10.
I've seen videos, etc. that say SMB shares and permissions are lost after the update. Is that the case?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Not to my knowledge. That would be a regression.

Incidentally, be very careful about trusting the content of random videos. Lots of people make videos. A few of them know what they are talking about.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's less painful if you don't fall too far behind. In your case, I'd suggest updating to 11.1-U1 when that is released. If you don't have the time in the near future, 9.10.2-U6 is fine for now, so don't worry too much.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Incidentally, be very careful about trusting the content of random videos. Lots of people make videos. A few of them know what they are talking about.
Yep, agreed. Unfortunately, for us noobs, videos are a nice resource. Seeing someone do it instead of read it makes it easier to grasp. Well, for some people, anyway. :smile:

I'm pretty sure it was you two that were invaluable in helping to get my NAS build going. Thanks again for that!
Sounds like what you're saying is I don't HAVE to upgrade, but I probably should instead of falling behind.
If it's as simple as just changing the upgrade path and upgrading, that seems about as simple as can be. What's the main advantage of waiting for 11.1-U1?

Thanks!!!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
You are on a recent version, so there is no urgent need to upgrade right now. Falling behind is not a worry with a version that is less than a year old. If it was a three-year-old version, that's a different thing.

So... relax for now. 11.1 has many new features. 11.1-U1 is the planned update to integrate any bug fixes and security updates, then the next feature release will be 11.2. Some people stay a release behind just so that when they do upgrade, the upgraded version has had lots of usage to shake out any problems.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Got it. Will do. Thanks!
Have a great Christmas, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.