SOLVED Is it possible to recover a zpool with replacement controller boards for harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigge

Cadet
I recently had a PSU malfunction on my FreeNAS box and 3 of my 5 drives in a (5 disk zfs1) no longer works, they are shorted out.

BUT i have three other drives of the exact make and model so i took the controller boards off those drives and replaced the damaged ones and connected the drives (with the data) to the box.
I have successfully done this on standard NTFS formatted drives in the past on windows machines but I realize it's a bit more complicated when it comes to ZFS.
The drives spin up and shows up in BIOS but my old FreeNAS installation do not see the drives.

Is it possible to reconfigure/rebuild the Volume for the new controller boards with the different serial numbers?
A related question: Is it possible to clone a HDD block by block and make it work with a existing zpool?

Last edited by a moderator:

rs225

Guru
ZFS doesn't care about the serial numbers. Yes, you should be able to clone an entire disk and use the clone with ZFS instead of the original drive.

The ROM chip is not because of the serial number, it's because you won't be able to access any data without it.

rs225

Guru
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything about the ROM chip. I was just answering the questions about what ZFS will accept.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you can match the controllers to the drives and successfully get them to play along, it should work, but definitely don't rely on those drives for longer than absolutely necessary.

Also: Backups, backups, backups.

Sigge

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies.
As I did not want to use my working drive controllers on my other drives i ordered used ones on ebay and swapped the rom chip on all three.
And now the drives are working again!

Status
Not open for further replies.