Is it possible to have a "backup" path for iSCSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudde

Explorer
Currently my setup looks like this.
My FreeNAS box with dual gigabit nic's is configured to use one for management and the other port for data (SMB, NFS)
Second nic is a Intel X520 dualport where one port is configured for iSCSI via DAC to esxi-box1.
The second port is connected via DAC to esxi-box2.

In ESXi under devices i can see my iSCSI-devices just fine but since im only having one path to each one the status shows "Normal (!) Degraded"
Is it possible to use my "Data" 1Gb nic as an extra path for both iSCSI shares to act as an backup path?
Or should i add an extra Intel x520 and configure a multipath?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
From SCSI multipath perspective there is no difference at what speeds NIC ports are running. Generally target may report preferable ports for use via ALUA mechanism, but FreeNAS does not use that, reporting all ports as equal (TrueNAS uses in HA configuration). So it is a question to ESXi whether it can properly prioritize different paths with different speeds, to send requests via the right one. It has UI to choose the active paths that, but I don't remember whether that priority setting is persistent over different events and failures or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.