is it possible to back up the FreeNAS data to non FreeBSD platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arka Banerjee

Dabbler
I have set up a FreeNAS (9.10.2) box using only one 500 gb HDD for data storage and another small size HDD for FreeNAS OS (Due to budget constraint). Since I have only one disk, redundancy is not there. So the data stored in the FreeNAS system becomes vulnerable. Now I want to have a periodic back up in my windows machine. Is it possible? If possible then tell me how. I have tried to send a manually taken snapshot to external HDD but it only transfer the metadata. So please tell me how to backup the FreeNAS DATA not the meta data to some other non FreeBSD system periodically.

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Use rsync. Search on these forums or online for instructions.

The reason the manual snapshot is not working is because snapshots can only be sent to another ZFS system.

Arka Banerjee

Dabbler
I have searched the internet for sometime but no luck. Can anyone tell me how can I configure my FreeNAS server as rsync client.

Last edited by a moderator:

gpsguy

Another option would be to run Robocopy on your pc.

For a forum search, try using sync windows. I just performed a search with those keywords and found a number of threads on the topic.

Gotta run off to work now.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have set up a FreeNAS (9.10.2) box using only one 500 gb HDD for data storage and another small size HDD for FreeNAS OS (Due to budget constraint). Since I have only one disk, redundancy is not there. So the data stored in the FreeNAS system becomes vulnerable. Now I want to have a periodic back up in my windows machine. Is it possible? If possible then tell me how. I have tried to send a manually taken snapshot to external HDD but it only transfer the metadata. So please tell me how to backup the FreeNAS DATA not the meta data to some other non FreeBSD system periodically.
Try DeltaCopy, a "Windows Friendly wrapper around the Rsync program". You should be able to set it up in server mode on your Windows PC, and then configure rsync tasks on FreeNAS to connect to it and back up your files.

Good luck!

snaptec

Guru
Deltacopy in Client mode with rsync Modul Setup in freenas definitely works.
You may want to google that.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
snapshots can only be sent to another ZFS system
Not exactly. A zfs send outputs to stdout, which you can redirect to a file or through a pipe to any *nix data sink. What you can't do is turn it back into a dataset unless the destination can do zfs receive (but of course, you can pull it back to the origin any time you like).

nojohnny101

Wizard
Not exactly. A zfs send outputs to stdout, which you can redirect to a file or through a pipe to any *nix data sink. What you can't do is turn it back into a dataset unless the destination can do zfs receive (but of course, you can pull it back to the origin any time you like).
Didn't know that! I appreciate the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.