Is FreeNAS for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B34N

Dabbler
I'm looking for a reliable and easy way to store my data so that I can access it from any of the devices in my home. I'm in the process of learning about FreeNAS and I like what I see but I'm having a hard time determining if it's a good fit for me.

In order of priority, this is what I'm looking to do:

Critical Data Storage – I currently have ~30GB of data that I would consider critical and irreplaceable. Normally new content is added rather than changed. I currently use a combination of Dropbox and google drive to protect that data but I would prefer something a bit more seamless.

Replaceable Data Storage – The bulk of my content is for my HTPCs. That content is generally removed after consumption. It is not irreplaceable but would be a PITA if lost.

Usenet Download Server – I've recently started using sabnzbd, couchpotato and sickbeard on an old P4. I can see myself digging more into them and expanding into more related applications which are available as FreeNAS plugins.

My Questions:
Is FreeNAS way overkill for what I'm looking to accomplish? It seems like doing it “right” will cost me a significant amount.

Based on the above, would RAIDZ2 be the recommendation?

Can I add HDs to a FreeNAS box that is running RAIDZ2 but have those HDs independent from the RAID? I have a few HDs laying around that I might want to add to the NAS but I but don't need backup or performance.

Will going to 16GB be worth the extra expense for my purposes?

Will the plug-ins require additional memory or CPU performance?

Are there “turnkey” recommended hardware configurations? I would prefer a rackmount system. I see that there is FreeNAS Mini for an OTS solution that is non-rackmount. Any thought on how much less $$$ I would spend if I did the same on my own? I'm open to paying for a solution if I can justify the differential in price.

Thank you,
B34N

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, FreeNAS *can* do what you want. The real question to ask is "is the cost worth the benefit". In your case there's probably better ways to do things with linux or Windows that will do what you want and may be less expensive.

The difference between a Mini and building it yourself is not very much. You *might* save $100.

If you are wanting to get out of your "comfort zone" and learn a new OS I'd say FreeNAS is a very good option. But if you are looking for one of the cheaper solutions then I'd say FreeNAS probably isn't for you.

RAIDZ1 should never be used with data you care about.

Yes, you can do single disk pools but you have no redundancy if things go bad.

16GB of RAM will depend on how much data you have and what kind of performance you need. I'd probably go with 16GB to start just to make sure you don't have a problem.

B34N

Dabbler
Well, FreeNAS *can* do what you want. The real question to ask is "is the cost worth the benefit". In your case there's probably better ways to do things with linux or Windows that will do what you want and may be less expensive.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm not a Windows user so if there is an alternative for me, it will be Linux.

The difference between a Mini and building it yourself is not very much. You *might* save $100.
Great feedback. I'll ask for a quote using a rackmount case. If the difference is that low, then I would much rather have someone build it with hardware that is known to work.

If you are wanting to get out of your "comfort zone" and learn a new OS I'd say FreeNAS is a very good option. But if you are looking for one of the cheaper solutions then I'd say FreeNAS probably isn't for you.
I've used FreeBSD on a hosted website starting back in 1998. Never did much out of the ordinary. I'm a Linux, mostly Ubuntu user but far from a techie. I can go a bit out of comfort zone but I really want to have something that just works.

Yes, you can do single disk pools but you have no redundancy if things go bad.
So I can have the full RaidZ2 solution and then a few junker drives on the same machine (assuming I have more than four SATA connectors) for less important data.

Thank you,
B34N

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I can have the full RaidZ2 solution and then a few junker drives on the same machine (assuming I have more than four SATA connectors) for less important data.

Yeah, that's not a problem.

Great feedback. I'll ask for a quote using a rackmount case. If the difference is that low, then I would much rather have someone build it with hardware that is known to work.

Rackmount stuff will probably end up a bit more expensive (unless you buy something like a used Supermicro chassis)...

B34N

Dabbler
I got my iXsystems quote. The FreeNAS Mini is exactly what I expected since the price is quoted online...and very fair. However, the switch to a rack mount case means that I step up to the enterprise service level and can spend nearly twice as much. I can understand that but it's not a fit for me. I'll just build my own and look for hardware recommendations.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe I'm confused but the Mini is not rackmount contrary to what you are saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.