IPMI device no longer found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Just saw my last post to this thread was April 2015. Well, almost 2 yrs later and my system has just been rolling on. A 4TB recently threw a SMART error and is now winging its way back to WD ... I have my spare in the system covering for it.

Anyway ... my motherboard temp scripts recently started throwing this error ...
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory

I traced that back to ipmitool not being happy. When I use ipmitool via shell, it reports ...
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory

Hmm - some googling suggested the BMC and at that point I thought I would post here in case anyone had any suggestions.

BTW ... should I be able to remote into my NAS when the NAS is off (power on) via the ipmi dedicated GLAN?

Ruff.Hi

Patron
eeerrr ... thanks for moving the thread?

Anyway ... my BMC is dead. It failed initial test (according to bios). There are a bunch of other threads about the ASRock mbs dying after about 2 yrs and I got my Q1 of 2015 ... oh oh.

The watchdog is disabled in the bios ... and I am in the process of adding a tuneable (according to this post). I don't have any PWM fans off my motherboard so that was never an issue for me.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
RMA approved. This will mean that I will be without a NAS for about 20 days ... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.