Invisible snapshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naesstrom

Contributor
I managed to fill upp my drives again last night and have spent some time today on cleaning out duplicates and moving my photos to a local drive instead on freenas but I'm getting confused now.
I've moved about 48Gb of photos from Freenas but my storage space havn't increased, running zfs list -t all -o space -r Katrinelund_2 gives me:
Code:
NAME                                                                                  AVAIL   USED  USEDSNAP  USEDDS  USEDREFRESERV  USEDCHILD
Katrinelund_2                                                                         2.85G  7.02T     50.0G    503G              0      6.48T
Katrinelund_2@auto-20160326.0900-2w                                                       -   176K         -       -              -          -
Katrinelund_2@auto-20160402.0900-2w                                                       -   176K         -       -              -          -
Katrinelund_2/.system                                                                 2.85G   319M     89.6M    120K              0       229M

And there I can see that usedsnap is 50G, sounds correct right but the only 2 snapshots beneath that one is 176k??? Checking the snapshots in the webinterface doesn't show any large snapshots either so the question is... should I wait and see if it's just a time issue or do something else?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Used spaces for snapshots can be complex, very complex, so even if you don't understand the numbers it's ok :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Your snapshots will increase in size if you CHANGE OR DELETE FILE BLOCKS since the last snap. If you haven't really done that, and all you've done is add new files, you do NOT expect a large snapshot size.

If you DELETED a bunch of files, or changed the contents of existing files, then it would be bigger.

Naesstrom

Contributor
Well that's the thing, I've deleted about 50Gb of images from my server but I still have no space on it, thus I thought it might be tied up in a snapshot but I can't find any in the list!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
There's two snapshots. If you delete them you'll recover the 50 GB, but you'll have deleted the snapshots so be sure it's what you want to do ;)

fracai

Guru
Snapshots only report the unique space they're using. In other words, if you make two snapshots and then delete 50 GB of space, both snapshots have references to that deleted 50 GB. If you delete one of the snapshots the size for the other will increase by 50 GB. Delete the remaining snapshot and you'll get an additional 50 GB of space available for the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.