Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience

Intel Xeon Quick Sync

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE

raidflex

Guru
Hey All,

Currently have an X10 system which has been running for many years and has been such rock stable. I also have a separate Blue Iris machine which I recently setup. I am considering building a system with ESXI to run both Truenas Core and Blue Iris to save on power cost. Currently we have some of the highest energy costs in the country and my cost per kwh just doubled on Jan 1st. This is just a home media/data server currently, so it does not get that much activity.

I will need Intel Quick Sync for Blue Iris and it needs to handle x265, which is Gen 6th and newer I believe. I currently only have 1 4k camera, but will be adding more in the future and looking to keep video files sizes down when possible. I also could use the 1050 Ti, although it seems Blue Iris is more stable with Quick Sync, not sure about that though?

So looking for some recommendations on Intel Xeon CPU's that have Quick Sync. It would be nice to stick with older hardware like the X11, trying to keep costs down and X12 is still very new. Something with at least 64GB of memory support for future expansion or even 128GB. I would also want the ability to add a 10GB NIC to the machine as I am upgrading to a Brocade ICX-6450-48P switch so I would like to take advantage of the SFP+ 10GB links for the server.

I was also throwing around the idea of maxing out my current X10 board with 32GB of memory and running ESXI on that and use a NVIDIA 1050 TI which I already have for Blue Iris. But this would be pushing the limits with the memory I suspect. Although currently I run 8 jails and 10 different apps on 24GB of memory with no issues and it has been running for 7 years at this point. I would consider this a stop gap until upgrading at a later date though, as the cost would be almost nothing.

Storage wise I doubt I would go over 100TB in the future. I know I am at the limits of the 24GB and even 32GB of memory already so this is also why I am considering upgrading for future expansion and 64GB of memory.

Current System:
Supermicro X10SL7-F
Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
24GB Crucial DDR3 ECC
5x14TB WD Drives
NORCO RPC-4020
TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

Whattteva

Guru
Intel Xeon's generally don't come with QuickSync, but you can use Intel Ark to find this kind of stuff.

raidflex

Guru
Intel Xeon's generally don't come with QuickSync, but you can use Intel Ark to find this kind of stuff.

Yeah that is why I was asking here as I know there is very limited Xeon's that have Quick Sync, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with certain models. Also not sure how well NVIDIA GPUs work vs Intel Quick Sync with Blue Iris when passing it through ESXI. Maybe I would be better off just using the 1050 TI, which would give me many more options.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So looking for some recommendations on Intel Xeon CPU's that have Quick Sync. It would be nice to stick with older hardware like the X11, trying to keep costs down and X12 is still very new. Something with at least 64GB of memory support for future expansion or even 128GB. I would also want the ability to add a 10GB NIC to the machine as I am upgrading to a Brocade ICX-6450-48P switch so I would like to take advantage of the SFP+ 10GB links for the server.

This was literally just the previous message I wrote in this thread:

X12 is now a generation old, as X13 has just been released. The Supermicro X12ST class is intended for low end servers and perhaps workstation-ish type stuff, and the E-23xx CPU lineup includes a whopping two models (I think) with iGPU support and QuickSync. Primarily the E-2388G CPU. Typically the heavy-hitter Xeons have not included iGPU or QuickSync; I can't think of any exceptions in the E5 lineup. The E3's, being workstation-oriented, usually had iGPU's on part numbers ending with E3-xxx5, so for example the E3-1585 v5 has Intel Iris Pro P580 and QuickSync. That's only Skylake though.

quicksync.png

The E-2388G is Rocket Lake, the E-2288G is Coffee Lake. I didn't bother learning/retaining whatever notation Intel may have used for iGPU units between Skylake and Coffee Lake, so you're a bit on your own there. And I'm not sure what "x265" is, perhaps H.265? If so, isn't that a subclass of HEVC? If so, you might be able to get by on a Skylake, which should be relatively readily available on the used market. Do your own research, though. You don't want my advice before I've even had any caffeine.

raidflex

Guru
This was literally just the previous message I wrote in this thread:

X12 is now a generation old, as X13 has just been released. The Supermicro X12ST class is intended for low end servers and perhaps workstation-ish type stuff, and the E-23xx CPU lineup includes a whopping two models (I think) with iGPU support and QuickSync. Primarily the E-2388G CPU. Typically the heavy-hitter Xeons have not included iGPU or QuickSync; I can't think of any exceptions in the E5 lineup. The E3's, being workstation-oriented, usually had iGPU's on part numbers ending with E3-xxx5, so for example the E3-1585 v5 has Intel Iris Pro P580 and QuickSync. That's only Skylake though.

View attachment 62847

The E-2388G is Rocket Lake, the E-2288G is Coffee Lake. I didn't bother learning/retaining whatever notation Intel may have used for iGPU units between Skylake and Coffee Lake, so you're a bit on your own there. And I'm not sure what "x265" is, perhaps H.265? If so, isn't that a subclass of HEVC? If so, you might be able to get by on a Skylake, which should be relatively readily available on the used market. Do your own research, though. You don't want my advice before I've even had any caffeine.

The X12 is quite a bit more expensive then the X11, about 2x it seems, mainly the cost of the CPU. At least compared to the used market. Yes sorry I was referring to H.265 or HVEC decoding, which technically goes back to Skylake, although Coffee Lake and up seems to have the full HVEC support.

It looks like the E-2356G supports Quick Sync and has an iGPU. Still 6C12T part as well and much cheaper then the E-2388G.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It looks like the E-2356G supports Quick Sync and has an iGPU. Still 6C12T part as well and much cheaper then the E-2388G.

I'm not seeing any significant availability; the ARK MSRP is like $350 but I only see a few available from distrs for about $450.

The E-2324G is a 4c/4t part with MSRP of $250, and I see a few tray parts for about that, or a boxed part from CDW at $276. So if you aren't feeling constrained by the lack of cores, that might be an option for you.

I did discuss the shortage of parts with a few vendors including iXsystems last year, and indications at the time were that supplies are highly constrained with no easing in the short term. I was able to buy an E-2388G at the time via Supermicro, but it was a BTO dealie (ugh) and it took about four months from P.O. to box-on-dock. I'm not seeing retail purchase options for most of these except for the E-2324G from CDW.

From my perspective, the E-2388G is fine because when you take the TCO of the server and then divide that up by the compute capacity it provides, the E-2388G is far cheaper.

E-2388G at $3650 divided by 25.6 works out to $143 per GHz.
E-2324G at $3300 divided by 12.4 works out to $266 per GHz.

It probably helps that it is a tiny CPU in the grand scheme of things.