Intel X520-DA2 Issue

spaxxilein

Dabbler
After booting the NIC works just fine. After a random amount of time - sometimes 7 days - sometimes 5 hours the NIC just goes down. Ifconfig only show status: no carrier.

I am not sure whats the issue here, i just realised there are newer drivers in FreeBSD for this NIC. Is it possible to add the newest driver to check if they fix the issue?

Current IX driver used by Freenas is 3.2.12 on the Intel Homepage it says 3.3.14 is the current version.

Thanks in advance!

ornias

Wizard
Without logs there is not that much what we can do. The ifconfig output is not stating anything relevant.

Did you try TrueNAS Core 12 yet? It might include an updated driver already.

spaxxilein

Dabbler
Without logs there is not that much what we can do. The ifconfig output is not stating anything relevant.

Hello Ornias,

we are using FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 , because i think this is the latest stable version. Which log do you need? Dmesg just says "ix1: link state changed to DOWN". Only way to get it back working is restarting the server. Ifconfig up/down does not change anything.

Best Regards,

Vincent

jgreco

Resident Grinch

You probably don't need an updated driver for a device that's been out a decade. These things have just been working fine for years.

This sounds rather like there's a knockoff X520 card in play. These things work sorta okay sometimes.

Pull the card and check the Yottamark against the validator. There's been a lot of fake cards making it into the used market for some reason.

ornias

Wizard
we are using FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 , because i think this is the latest stable version. Which log do you need? Dmesg just says "ix1: link state changed to DOWN". Only way to get it back working is restarting the server. Ifconfig up/down does not change anything.

yes thats the last stable indeed. thanks for the dmesg, can you also find out what is the relevant output during boot... It might give us a hint (or not)...

You probably don't need an updated driver for a device that's been out a decade. These things have just been working fine for years.
Agreed, but just in case he really wants to update it, it might be easier to just update to TrueNAS.

This sounds rather like there's a knockoff X520 card in play. These things work sorta okay sometimes.
It might also be a bad SFP+ cable, @spaxxilein did you test with another cable and another device at the other end? Just to be sure it actually is the card thats at fault?