Intel NIC (EXPI9301CT PRO1000) and Win 8.1 causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi

Dabbler
preliminary note for my issue:
After uprading my freenas-server-mainboard to an ECC compatible one a while ago, I realized significant performance issues... Before the change I was easily able to get practical transfer speeds of over 110MbYte/s. So including the overhead I could satisfy my Gigabit Ethernet connection with data.
Now I could only get between 70% and 80% of the max. Gigabit speed. I tried to find that error but couldn't find it quickly. I posted the issue (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ite-come-from-problems-after-mb-change.35120/) here in the forum. Cyberjock gave me the [logical] hint that it is probably a network problem. Thank you so far!

So I wanted to proof that it is a network problem...
I booted the computer system (my workstation, not the NAS) from a linux live disk and started iperf again (freeNAS was the same, nothing changed):
The ethernet adapter which I use in my workstation is a Intel EXPI9301CT PRO1000. The results are as expected for a Gigabit Ethernet-system:
I did several tests (~15 tests) with standard parameters, the worst test running a live linux was 941 Mbit/s the best 945 Mbit/s.
I also did a test with the onboard Realtek lan chip (workstation side) which gave me something about 937-940 Mbit/s which is still ok for me.
All in all very consistent results with linux & iperf. It looks like the results are maxing out the ethernet speed limit. All test are done just with local switch and no internet connection to avoid background downloads, etc.
So far so good. I changed back to Windows. freeNAS-device again without changes since the 'linux tests'.
And now there was a huge speed gap between Linux and Windows. Windows-speeds with a maximum of 830Mbit/s. Average: ~710Mbit/s. Some test dropped down to even 650Mbit/s. [Same conditions like in the linux test a few minutes before...]
For me it looked like a windows driver problem of the intel chip. Thus I tried the Realtek chip, which should have another driver I guess. The results are almost the same like the intel ones (+- a few Mb/s).
I also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the ethernet chips (both, Realtek and Intel).
I did this one time with manual installed drivers and one time with Windows automated install (autosearch for drivers).
This didn't change anything too.
The last option was a clean new install of Windows 8.1 on a currently not used HDD, which showed me the same ethernet speed results (+-10Mbit/s) like the windows tests before.
I have absolutely no idea what the problem is.
->> The only logical reason would be, that a fresh install of Win 8.1 is not able to use full Gigabit ethernet speed. Neither on the Intel nor the Realtek adapter card.
I doubt that...
Does anyone use a
Intel EXPI9301CT PRO1000
on a Windows 8.1 machine? If yes - which speeds are you getting? Which driver are you using?

Please help me, I have not the slightest idea what it could be... Thank you for your help in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FWIW, I've had zero issues with i210s and i217s (the server-grade model) on Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.