Intel C622 chipset based mainboards

Exhorder

Explorer
Hi,

are there any problems with Intel C622 based mainboards?
E.g. with Supermicro X11SPM-TPF?

The board has 2x 10G SFP+ ethernet connection and 12x SATA ports. Will both work in FreeNAS?

Another related question: Are there any disadvantages when using chipset SATA controller instead of LSI/Broadcom 3008 SAS?

You may find the following discussion useful.

I think the takeaway point there is that depending on your needs you may be able to save significant amounts of money if you get slightly older, used hardware. Of course, whether you want to go that route depends on your use case, budget, etc.

Another related question: Are there any disadvantages when using chipset SATA controller instead of LSI/Broadcom 3008 SAS?
HBAs offer you the ability to use expanders and to simply run more drives. There isn't anything wrong with using your SATA controller so long as you are happy using SATA drives. I would say that because you can get HBAs that will support hundreds of drives with the addition of cheap expanders that you shouldn't pick a board just because it has a ton of SATA ports. Instead, pick a board that supports the CPU and total memory you want and make sure it has enough PCIe slots etc for any future expansion you may be interested in.

The board has 2x 10G SFP+ ethernet connection and 12x SATA ports. Will both work in FreeNAS?
I can't say much here from experience and so I'd suggest you keep searching around the forums and look for folks using that NIC under heavy load using the version of FreeBDS used by the version of FreeNAS you'll install. Maybe someone else will chime in with solid advice here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's extensive discussion of 10G cards in the 10G Networking Primer thread.

The short form is that you should definitely head to one of the known-to-work-well chipsets, rather than hoping for good support on some random chipset.