SOLVED Intel c3000 NIC hardware support

Status
Not open for further replies.

b88

Dabbler
Hi,

still new to the forum and hope this is the right place for this thread.
I have a setup including a C3558 motherboard from supermicro

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/A2SDi-4C-HLN4F.cfm

and everything worked like a charm until i got to the console setup.
It turns out that no Ethernet drivers are available for the onboard nic's.

After some research i found that the C3558 board is supported, but others have had issues with the NICs.

As I see it I have the following options:

1. get some supported USB Ethernet adapter and wait for hardware support in upcoming updates of FreeNAS.
2. some kind of manual fix
3. return the board and swap for the older c2558 version.

How close is a hardware support by FreeNAS?
Is there some kind of manual fix or patch?

The little board was exactly what I was looking for and I hope I don't have to settle for the USB Ethernet adapter workaround.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS 11.1 includes support for the C3000 NICs. I'd suggest starting off with the RC.

get some supported usb ehternet adapter
Yeah, no, those aren't particularly good.

b88

Dabbler
FreeNAS 11.1 includes support for the C3000 NICs. I'd suggest starting off with the RC.

Yeah, no, those aren't particularly good.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that as soon as i have time.

b88

Dabbler
Everything seems to work fine using the RC, except I don't seem to be able to upload a config file from the old FreeNAS system.
I just get a green box telling me that an error occurred. I don't see any messages in the terminal footer either.
When upgrading from FreeNAS 10 to 11 i could use the saved config file.

I haven't connected the hard drives yet since the old FreeNAS box is still running and i want to minimize downtime.
When uploading the config file to the new server do all drives need to be connected?

Can I find more info about the error somewhere? Logs?

Regards

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

b88

Dabbler
Sorry my bad. No my old hardware is running FreeNAS 11 u4. The saved config file from that machine doesn’t work on the new hardware with FreeNAS 11.1 RC running on it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay, that is weird. What's the exact error?

b88

Dabbler
The GUI is telling me that "an error occurred" when I try to upload the config, that's it. Nothing in the console footer.

Not sure exactly how to debug this properly, will do some reading in the FreeNAS doc as soon as I have some extra time.

b88

Dabbler
What's the exact error?
Right, i did have a look at the /var/log/messages file and at the footer console and there is nothing about a failure, no message.
I forced a message by changing the time zone, that showed up in the messages and the console (which i now suspect show the same information).

What more can i try? Do i have to connect the hard drives from the old machine to the new one before loading the config file? I have a couple of jails and vm running.

PS: just to clarify, i do get a green box on the top telling me that an error occurred, but no details in the log nor the console.

Best regards

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
File a bug report and let's have the devs take a look at this. Post the issue number here, afterwards.

b88

Dabbler
Update: With FreeNAS 11.1 release everything seems to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.