Intel 2.5GbE LAN chip not recognized

leonardorame

Contributor
Hi, I'm building a TrueNAS Core 12.0 U4 for a customer on a machine with a gaming motherboard AORUS B560M PRO AX.

This motherboard comes with an onboard Intel 2.5GbE nic that doesn't seems to be recognized.

Code:
pciconf -lv
none6@pci0:3:0:0    class=0x020000 card=0xe0001458 chip=0x15f38086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

(I had to type that on another machine).

It didn't show anything else.

Can anyone help me bringing this nic up?.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're building a server for a customer out of a gaming mainboard?

leonardorame

Contributor
You're building a server for a customer out of a gaming mainboard?

Yes, this is a cheap server we can build with the very limited budget our customer provided.

The machine is an Intel i5 10gen, 16gig ram, 3 x WD20EFRX hdds, 1 HP 128gb SDD, the Gigabyte AORUS mother and a beautiful case, everything for less than u$s 1000.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm sorry, but that it nonsense. The motherboard is close in price to an X11SCL-F, which would be a practical upgrade if not a paper upgrade. Replace the i5 with an i3 or a Xeon for proper ECC support, depending on real needs, and it would have been a much better choice.

leonardorame

Contributor
There's a shortage of hardware here in Argentina, the best I've found in that price range is the Gigabyte motherboard. SuperMicro is extremely expensive here, and only a couple of options are available.

leonardorame

Contributor
Hi, I was able to build the igc driver and now it's working on true nas (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/intel-ethernet-controller-i225-v-not-supported-yet.80991/).

1626623503347.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not that this is Linux, but the correct approach is to file a feature request, since the driver seems to be somewhat stable now, to make sure it gets pulled into TrueNAS in a timely fashion.

leonardorame

Contributor
Is there an easy way to install this for a person that isn't that mutch into Linux?

No, first of all you must compile the driver, then copy it to an usb stick then from it to the server.

But, there are good news!, yesterday I talked to one of the TrueNAS developers and he told me in a couple of weeks there will be a new release 12-U6 containing all the new Intel drivers.

Dragonlove

Cadet
No, first of all you must compile the driver, then copy it to an usb stick then from it to the server.

But, there are good news!, yesterday I talked to one of the TrueNAS developers and he told me in a couple of weeks there will be a new release 12-U6 containing all the new Intel drivers.

That is great news :smile:

Dragonlove

Cadet
Not that this is Linux, but the correct approach is to file a feature request, since the driver seems to be somewhat stable now, to make sure it gets pulled into TrueNAS in a timely fashion.

I know, but to my understanding it is based on FreeBSD and Linux, or isn't that correct?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TrueNAS Core, which is relevant to this thread, is FreeBSD. TrueNAS Scale is Linux.