Installing Truenas Scale on USB flash drives. Is it possible?

jjstecchino

Contributor
This weekend I wanted to try Scale on my hardware running Truenas 12 U1.
The setup I like is booting in EFI mode from 2 mirrored usb flash drives.
I do this as the usb drives act as physical keys for my nas. If I turn of the system and remove the keys, my encrypted pools would remain unaccusable to anybody.
And for the curious... yes I keep the pool keys backed up somewhere else as well. So if the event both usb flash fail simultaneously nothing is lost other than time recreating the system.

I wanted to replicate this setup with scale.
The installer seems to allow the creation of a mirrored boot drive allowing you to select multiple disks, however it doesn't show my 2 installed flash drives. I dont know if it is a bug or is it by design as I realized booting from usb flash it is frowned upon.
If I drop to a console I can see and access the flash drives.
It would be very nice to be able to continue using usb drives if possible. Is there any workaround?

ornias

Wizard
Done so myself during ALPHA 20.10
Didn't require any workaround, so might be system related.
Just be aware it isn't best-practice to do so and don't expect many people here willing to help you troubleshoot if you run into issues along the way.

jjstecchino

Contributor
On second thought it is a bug on the installer.
I have a bunch of drives so that the drives assignment goes past sdz. In particular the usb deives are sdad and sdae. I have noticed the installer list all drives up to sdz but it doesn't list drives with 4 letter assignment i.e. sdaa, sdab etc.
In fact as it turned of a bunch of drives and restarted the system the usb drives, now recognized in the 3 letter range, were listed and the installer did work. Ill file a bug on Jira.

jjstecchino

Contributor
Done so myself during ALPHA 20.10
Didn't require any workaround, so might be system related.
Just be aware it isn't best-practice to do so and don't expect many people here willing to help you troubleshoot if you run into issues along the way.
Thanks for the reply.

jjstecchino

Contributor