Installing TrueNAS on AWS EC2

Sofiane

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Long story short, and to avoid any kind of ( why would you do that questions ) I need to install TrueNAS on a cloud.

I have tried :
- adding 2 drives for the Instance, switch between /dev/sda1 & /dev/xvdb to boot from the one I used dd on ( dd the iso file ) = It didn't boot and couldn't connect to it.
- https://www.truenas.com/docs/solutions/integrations/awsdeploy/ = Not working
- Using Community AMIs : TrueNAS-12.0 = Can't connect to the instance & even the WebUI
Anyone succeeded doing this please ?

Thanks in advance.

Nick2253

Wizard
You really haven't provided much information about what you did, or what errors you are getting. It's quite possible that there's a step you're missing. I have personally used the Community AMI for testing, and I found that it worked just fine for me. Have you double checked your networking setup from within AWS?

I know you said that you need to install TrueNAS on the cloud, and were trying to preempt this line of thought, but I have to admit that, in my experience, I've found that this is usually the wrong move. In other words, TrueNAS is usually not the actual end-goal. Instead, it's about providing a reliable data storage accessible via a variety of protocols. If you are going with Amazon's cloud, Amazon provides a number of services that more performantly and more cost-effectively achieve this goal.

For example, if you must have ZFS, use FSx on OpenZFS. If you need SMB or NFS file access, then FSx on Windows File Server and AWS Storage Gateway would do the trick.

Sofiane

Cadet
You really haven't provided much information about what you did, or what errors you are getting. It's quite possible that there's a step you're missing. I have personally used the Community AMI for testing, and I found that it worked just fine for me. Have you double checked your networking setup from within AWS?

I know you said that you need to install TrueNAS on the cloud, and were trying to preempt this line of thought, but I have to admit that, in my experience, I've found that this is usually the wrong move. In other words, TrueNAS is usually not the actual end-goal. Instead, it's about providing a reliable data storage accessible via a variety of protocols. If you are going with Amazon's cloud, Amazon provides a number of services that more performantly and more cost-effectively achieve this goal.

For example, if you must have ZFS, use FSx on OpenZFS. If you need SMB or NFS file access, then FSx on Windows File Server and AWS Storage Gateway would do the trick.
Hello,

Well first of all thanks for your answer, at least you are trying to help.

As I said after using the Community AMI i couldn’t just login ( via ssh ) nor via the WebUI, as you can see on the screenshot I provided.

The purpose of doing this isn’t at all for usage, it’s more for a presentation video where I just don’t want to show my external IP at all..

So I thought about installing it on a cloud server and using that IP with the solution I want to use in the presentation ( cloudflare for example)

Nick2253

Wizard
I just don’t want to show my external IP at all..
There might be better ways of doing this. You could do it via an internal network, so you're just showing a 192.168.x.x IP address. Or if it has to be accessed via the interwebs, you could use a Dynamic DNS hostname just for the purpose of the presentation, and take it down after you're done making it.

As I said after using the Community AMI i couldn’t just login ( via ssh ) nor via the WebUI, as you can see on the screenshot I provided.
That implies that something is wrong via the networking that you have set up via AWS. I have a VPN between my network and my AWS cloud, so I don't recall having to do anything special. But if you're trying to access it via a public IPv4 address, then I believe that you have to open ports so that everything is accessible.

Sofiane

Cadet
There might be better ways of doing this. You could do it via an internal network, so you're just showing a 192.168.x.x IP address. Or if it has to be accessed via the interwebs, you could use a Dynamic DNS hostname just for the purpose of the presentation, and take it down after you're done making it.

That implies that something is wrong via the networking that you have set up via AWS. I have a VPN between my network and my AWS cloud, so I don't recall having to do anything special. But if you're trying to access it via a public IPv4 address, then I believe that you have to open ports so that everything is accessible.
For my network, I’m only exposing port 80/443 to on the Traefik setup for all my applications, and unfortunately I can’t activate the MultiNAT because my ISP/country doesn’t allow it.

For the moment the only solutions I have are :

- Asking someone to allow me use his IP to make a test Truenas Core server and delete ip after.
- Making one on the cloud
- Or the final solution using Porzila on Cloudflare and just expose different ports 8080:4443 and use IP:PORT on Cloudflare.

So, I would like making a Dynamic DNS, but the presentation has to show how I add the IP as a record on Cloudflare.

For the networking, I was trying accessing it from the public ipv4 address too and I just have a security group that allow all traffic ( TCP+UDP)

Speaking about VPN, I would like installing a VPN on it but as I said I had no access ( even using the aws console built-in interface )