Installing Tailscale inside a jail

e76e0zgfht

Cadet
Hi all,

Tailscale has no official support on FreeBSD but there is a port here.
I am having trouble installing it in a jail. It installs and runs perfectly fine on a VM running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE but not inside a jail on Truenas 12.0.

After installing the pkg in a jail and running:
service tailscaled enable service tailscaled start tailscale up

It results in:

can't fetch status from tailscaled: Get "http://local-tailscaled.sock/localapi/v0/status": dial unix /var/run/tailscale/tailscaled.sock: connect: no such file or directory

I'm assuming it fails because jails are less permissive by default than the host OS. I have no clue which /etc/devfs.rules I should enable to get it to work.
So far, I tried using the following set of /etc/devfs.rules that I found here, which explains how to install Wireguard in a jail. I thought that since Tailscale uses Wireguard, it might work but it didn't:

Code:
[devfsrules_jail=5]
add include $devfsrules_hide_all
add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
add path 'tun*' unhide
add path 'bpf*' unhide
add path zfs unhide

I also tried checking for any logs in /var/log inside the jail, but they're mostly empty.
If anyone can offer any guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

gt2416

Patron
what do you see if you run the command
Code:
tailscaled

For me it tries to access /var.run/devd.seqpacket.pipe which I don't know how to pass through to a jail.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
tries to access /var.run/devd.seqpacket.pipe which I don't know how to pass through to a jail.
What you want to look at is the devfs_ruleset for the jail.

iocage set devfs_ruleset=2 jailname would be a starting point which opens up all devices to the jail.

e76e0zgfht

Cadet
what do you see if you run the command
Code:
tailscaled

For me it tries to access /var.run/devd.seqpacket.pipe which I don't know how to pass through to a jail.

What you want to look at is the devfs_ruleset for the jail.

iocage set devfs_ruleset=2 jailname would be a starting point which opens up all devices to the jail.

It seems it isn't possible to use Tailscale in a jail. I contacted the maintainer of the port and they linked a discussion about running devd(8) in a jail and it isn't possible.

Instead I'll just use a VM. Thank you both for the suggestions!

gt2416

Patron
I read that you cant use devd in a jail as well. I tried linking the file inside the jail but thats a no go, guess a vm is the best way for now. The lightest distro I know of is alpine linux, it could be a decent alternative to a jail.

rjone1

Cadet
Anyone know if this is still the case. According to the Tailscale website they mention:

Tailscale’s FreeBSD support is community-maintained but functional. Tailscale is now in FreeBSD Ports.
FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD. Our users have reported that Tailscale’s FreeBSD version works fine on FreeNAS.

Really hoping it was possible to run tailscale without the need for a VM.

Geek

Cadet
Anyone know if this is still the case. According to the Tailscale website they mention:

Tailscale’s FreeBSD support is community-maintained but functional. Tailscale is now in FreeBSD Ports.
FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD. Our users have reported that Tailscale’s FreeBSD version works fine on FreeNAS.

Really hoping it was possible to run tailscale without the need for a VM.
Did you get anywhere with this? I'm also trying to run tailscale in a jail without a VM. I've been running in to all kinds of errors trying to get it to work.

rjone1

Cadet
Did you get anywhere with this? I'm also trying to run tailscale in a jail without a VM. I've been running in to all kinds of errors trying to get it to work.
I just gave up and went with a light weight Ubuntu install as a relay server. It actually wasn't too hard and isn't using much resources.