Installing Scale onto Dell Internal Dual SD Module

zetabax

Dabbler
Howdy community,

I recognize that the documentation strongly advises against installing Scale (or Core for that matter) onto flash media like USB sticks however, I'm running a Dell PowerEdge with the Internal Dual SD Module.

Outside the fact TrueNAS will prematurely wear out my SD Cards, because the Dual SD module mirrors in Raid 1, providing I keep the config backed up in a safe place and accept the risk that both SD cards could go at the same time, is there really any other reason why I shouldn't use the Dual SD Module to run TrueNas?

I have a total of 14 HDDs, 12 spinning disks in the front for storage and 2 SSDs in the back for cache and no where to install the OS except for on the Dual SD Module hence the foolish configuration.

I thought about installing a generic PCIe NVMe adapter but I can't get past post with the consumer junk. The Dell BOSS card isn't compatible with the Rx30 series and I have my doubts about the compatibility of enterprise PCIe SSDs on fleabay.

Would love for feedback and or recommendations please.

Thanks in advance!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The Dell BOSS card isn't compatible with the Rx30 series

Not listed as supported, but it should work barring a BIOS level lockout.

Any OS that doesn't do a "run from RAM" config will eat up the IDSDM in a hurry; even Dell is recommending against vSphere on there with the changes to 7.0 and VMFS-L.

If the server has spare external (or internal) USB ports, you could theoretically add a SSD in a USB enclosure, or use industrial SLC USB flash drives.

I ran TrueNAS CORE on a Crucial X8 SSD (QLC) until I was able to source 16GB eUSB DOMs (SLC) for my systems.
https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/crucial-x8-2tb-external-ssd-review/3/

Just bought a Sandisk NVME Extreme Portable v2 (TLC) with my Costco rewards so I can kick the tires on SCALE without installing over the eUSB DOM CORE install. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1612...ble-ssd-v2-and-wd-my-passport-ssd-2020-review

I believe SLC SD cards also exist, but it seems using the Dell SD card reader is not recommended for much of anything.

Last edited:

theprez

Explorer
Howdy community,

I recognize that the documentation strongly advises against installing Scale (or Core for that matter) onto flash media like USB sticks however, I'm running a Dell PowerEdge with the Internal Dual SD Module.

Outside the fact TrueNAS will prematurely wear out my SD Cards, because the Dual SD module mirrors in Raid 1, providing I keep the config backed up in a safe place and accept the risk that both SD cards could go at the same time, is there really any other reason why I shouldn't use the Dual SD Module to run TrueNas?

I have a total of 14 HDDs, 12 spinning disks in the front for storage and 2 SSDs in the back for cache and no where to install the OS except for on the Dual SD Module hence the foolish configuration.

I thought about installing a generic PCIe NVMe adapter but I can't get past post with the consumer junk. The Dell BOSS card isn't compatible with the Rx30 series and I have my doubts about the compatibility of enterprise PCIe SSDs on fleabay.

Would love for feedback and or recommendations please.

Thanks in advance!

So did you ever try this out? Curious if it was recognized and was able to be installed (and replicated onto the second SD card. I have a Dell PowerEdge T620 with this feature and am debating trying to use it. - Thanks

zetabax

Dabbler
I decided to go with the Dual SD Modules and picked up a pair of high quality / high speed SD Cards professional photographers use and so far, it hasn't failed me.

Be sure your iDRAC is set to email alerts when things fail and have a matching identical spare on hand for when one fails.

I don't consider my Plex or Unify controller mission critical app apps but if you're running your business on it, I wouldn't take the chance.

JBK

Dabbler
Considering this thread is somewhat recent (updated) I will comment.

I am running MANY Dell 730xd systems with TrueNAS core and I have a good relationship with the sales team and support (as well as owning several IXsystems units that we purchased). All of my 730xd's are using the idsdm as their boot-pool on my core systems.

The reason that I came across this thread is because of the IDSDM module. In the last 60 days I have had two 730xd's go haywire (different systems built at different times in different states) because of the boot-pool scrub (apparently). The system still works (for a while), however all communication to the web interface is lost and even the console itself will come up but is not responsive. The message I receive from my drac is that there is an IDSDM failure. You cannot manage the system in any way.

The only solution is to HARD reboot the system, and when it reboots it tell me that there was an unrecoverable error on the IDSDM module and "would you like to rebuild from the secondary source (SD-CARD)" and I say "yes" and the system reboots and rebuilds just fine. This does of course cause a problem considering my job is to manage petabytes of data (government data) and causes a break in production (and a lot of noise from management). If there is any suggestion from anyway on how to avoid this please let me know.

After working as the senior field engineer for Netapp for 10 years (Network Appliance when I was there) there was never an issue because a copy of the OS and boot data was stored on every drive so it was never an issue.

Just sharing thoughts.

Ricoks08

Cadet
Considering this thread is somewhat recent (updated) I will comment.

I am running MANY Dell 730xd systems with TrueNAS core and I have a good relationship with the sales team and support (as well as owning several IXsystems units that we purchased). All of my 730xd's are using the idsdm as their boot-pool on my core systems.

The reason that I came across this thread is because of the IDSDM module. In the last 60 days I have had two 730xd's go haywire (different systems built at different times in different states) because of the boot-pool scrub (apparently). The system still works (for a while), however all communication to the web interface is lost and even the console itself will come up but is not responsive. The message I receive from my drac is that there is an IDSDM failure. You cannot manage the system in any way.

The only solution is to HARD reboot the system, and when it reboots it tell me that there was an unrecoverable error on the IDSDM module and "would you like to rebuild from the secondary source (SD-CARD)" and I say "yes" and the system reboots and rebuilds just fine. This does of course cause a problem considering my job is to manage petabytes of data (government data) and causes a break in production (and a lot of noise from management). If there is any suggestion from anyway on how to avoid this please let me know.

After working as the senior field engineer for Netapp for 10 years (Network Appliance when I was there) there was never an issue because a copy of the OS and boot data was stored on every drive so it was never an issue.

Just sharing thoughts.
When you say MANY, but then mention a couple just recently crashed because of the IDSDM module, would you still consider it a solid boot choice for TrueNas??
How long have the current R730xd's been using the IDSDM for boot?

Thinking of going this route as well - they are pretty cheap to add from ebay

JBK

Dabbler
I do. So far only two failures and I think it is more focused around the Dell design. These cards are not like RAID 1. IF one fails it does not just jump to the other one as a source. I am going to continue to use them and as usual I will always have a configuration backup ready just in case they both go out. It also help prevent the use of all you storage slots for a simple boot but sill provides redundancy. All of my 730xd units have been booting IDSDM probably going on 2 years now.