Installing before I have storage

bassmannate

Dabbler
I'm building a server with TrueNAS Scale to act as a file server as well as to replace a few RPis that are serving various functions such as DNS and WireGuard.

My question is whether I can go ahead and install TrueNAS on my SSD before I have my bulk storage so I can use it for the other functions or is it going to complain that I don't have anywhere to create a pool? I'm still planning out my storage and probably won't have the hard drives for it until after the new year.

You can absolutely just install and configure TrueNAS without any data pools.

There just won't be much to do.

Keep in mind since you won't have any data pools, your System Dataset (the hidden .system dataset) will live on your boot-pool, until you create your first data pool.

so I can use it for the other functions
Not sure what "other functions" you can use it for, other than getting acquainted and familiar with its GUI.

bassmannate

Dabbler
You can absolutely just install and configure TrueNAS without any data pools.

There just won't be much to do.

Keep in mind since you won't have any data pools, your System Dataset (the hidden .system dataset) will live on your boot-pool, until you create your first data pool.

Not sure what "other functions" you can use it for, other than getting acquainted and familiar with its GUI.
Got it. I've never used ZFS or TrueNAS before so I'm a bit in the dark as to how it all goes together. It sounds like I would need a pool for other applications (pihole, etc.) to store any data at all.

What all gets stored on your boot drive? Is it somewhat the equivalent of an immutable container that gets replaced when you upgrade and preserves your settings and everything on the system dataset on a separate device? I've really been diving into containers over the last 6 months using Fedora Silverblue on my desktop and Docker on an experimental RPI server so I'm starting to wrap my brain around containerization. Don't know why I didn't take the plunge before because it's great knowing everything is isolated.

What all gets stored on your boot drive?
The operating system itself (TrueNAS), the configuration file and encryption keyfiles (which is read with each reboot to load up your configurations and settings), and the System Dataset and logs (unless you move the System Dataset to a data pool later on.)

If it's larger than 64 GB, the installer will prompt you if you would also like to dedicate 16 GB of swap space on the boot drive(s).

Last edited:

MisterE2002

Patron
Another route. Use something like virtualbox to toy around. Add some extra virtual disks and test. Use snapshots to revert to previous states.
Make sure the virtual disks are at least 8Gb otherwise TN will not "see" it. Think the assigned memory should be at least 4Gb.

bassmannate

Dabbler
lol! Too late. I got the SSD I was waiting on today and have TrueNAS installed. Getting familiar with the interface. Once I get hard drives, I'll be in business.