Installing bacula-fd on freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

yossie

Cadet
I'm trying to add a bacula-fd (client) to freenas and hitting a few snags. Mostly, I expect, due to my n00bish status with freenas.

* So, I mounted / read-write and did pkg_add bacula-fd - this worked.
* When I tried to remount (mount -fr /) read-only, the samba processes all died and I solved this by a reboot.
* After reboot, the config file I had placed in /etc/local was gone, as was the init file and the bacula_client_enable="YES" I added to "enable" bacula-client.
* HOWEVER, after said reboot, I placed a bacula-fd.conf file in a r/w location, created /var/db/bacula/ and started the bacula-fd manually (bacula-fd -c CONFIG-FILE) and it is working as expected (as in I am running a backup against it as I type.)

Clearly I am not up on how to add services to freenas installs.

Quesions:
1) what did I do wrong that caused the samba processes to die after a remount read-only?
2) while in r/w mode, where should I place the config file, the init script, the enable flag for said script, and the directory /var/db/bacula in order to make them persistant?
3) what do I need to do to make sure the service starts after a reboot?
4) I realize there is a plugin, though it appears to be in beta - which makes me a bit nervous :) If it is recommended to I use the plugin, so be it, but then the question is how to remove the bacula-fd I installed manually.

Thanks - Yossie

J

James

Are you installing and configuring within FreeNAS or within the Plugins Jail?

yossie

Cadet
I expect it is NOT within the jail since I didn't/don't know about it. As I said, I did a mount -o rw on / and then did pkg_add bacula-client (which brought in two other packages.)

titan_rw

Guru
Installing software to freenas itself is neither supported, nor recommended. The only way to do this would be to 'roll your own' freenas, compiling from scratch everything you want.

Alternatively, the plugin jail is designed for extra software to be installed and run. It basically gives you a freebsd 'installation' to do whatever you want with. Install the package / port you want in the jail. See the docs on how.

ProtoSD

MVP
Not to mention, if you bother to search the forums, one of the developers has made a bacula plugin. :rolleyes:

DerJan

Dabbler
Sorry, for bringing up this old thread. But I figured it's better than to make a new one.

Not to mention, if you bother to search the forums, one of the developers has made a bacula plugin. :rolleyes:

That plugin encompasses only the bacula-sd so you can use freenas as a backup target but not back it up itself.

However, getting bacula-fd on FreeNAS is relatively easy. I installed a FreeBSD 9.2 on a VM and built bacula5-client-static from the ports tree. The resulting binary is copied to a newly created dataset on the NAS (jails are probably problematic since you don't want the isolation for backing up) along with the client configuration. Then, start static-bacula-fd from the command line (or later from startup scripts) and you should be fine.

If there is interest, I can make a more elaborate tutorial on that.

boostman

Cadet
Der Jan - I'd be interested in seeing a tutorial on this if you have the time.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.