Installing a DNS server on FreeNAS 8.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium007

Explorer
Hi - I have searched these forums, the FAQ and Google trying to find a way to install a DNS server on my FreeNAS box. My new Cisco RV220W router is a POS and does not resolve the names ti hands out via DHCP which has caused everything to break here at home. I was hoping to try and run a DNS server on the local network to fix the problem.

From what I have read I should install the DNS BIND package (assuming named) from the FreeBSD packages in a FreeBSD jail.

Has anyone done this ? Are there any guides ? The only thing that I keep turning up on Google is an old SourceFouge thread that is dead.

Any help would be appreciated !

ilium007

Explorer
Thread moved, questions don't belong in the HowTo section.

Apologies - I thought I had posted in the 'hacking' section which is what I thought I was doing !!

I have installed a PBI jail and I am now installing BIND via pkg_add. Will see what happens next !

ilium007

Explorer
DNSMasq installed, symlinked a library file int he jail and edited the dnsmasq.conf file and all is working a treat !

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Hi, I've tried installing DNSMasq on a jail with the following basic config...

Code:
interface=epair0b
listen-address=192.168.1.3
bind-interfaces
domain=lemon.local
dhcp-range=192.168.0.60,192.168.0.127,12h

Also added dnsmasq_enable="YES" into the rc.conf, but its failing to hand out addresses. Is there anything that could be blocking it in any of the FreeNAS config?

ilium007

Explorer
Hi, I've tried installing DNSMasq on a jail with the following basic config...

Code:
interface=epair0b
listen-address=192.168.1.3
bind-interfaces
domain=lemon.local

Also added dnsmasq_enable="YES" into the rc.conf, but its failing to hand out addresses. Is there anything that could be blocking it in any of the FreeNAS config?

Remove 'bind-interfaces' 'interface' and 'listen'address' and try again. Mine worked without it. The jail only has one IP interface (the one you configured in the Plugins screen I don't think there is any need to tell it to bind to an interface.

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Remove 'bind-interfaces' 'interface' and 'listen'address' and try again. Mine worked without it. The jail only has one IP interface (the one you configured in the Plugins screen I don't think there is any need to tell it to bind to an interface.

Ok tried that and still didn't work :/ surely it needs either a interface to listen on or an IP? I also did a broadcast ping and the jail was replying.

ilium007

Explorer

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
There is no need to specify a bind interface - by default the daemon will bind the the available IP's i.e.. the one you set up in the plugin screen. Mine works fine without it.

A man page is always a good place to start:
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Well this is the only config I used, This should of at least handed out some addresses?

Code:
domain=lemon.local

ilium007

Explorer
Well this is the only config I used, This should of at least handed out some addresses?

Code:
domain=lemon.local

I think the problem is with your 'domain' setting. Out of interest replace the domain line with:

Code:
local=/lemon.local/

include the slashes and restart the dnsmasq daemon.

ptr

Cadet
Can you provide detailed instructions for the install of dnsmasq on freenas 8.2?

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
I think the problem is with your 'domain' setting. Out of interest replace the domain line with:

Code:
local=/lemon.local/

include the slashes and restart the dnsmasq daemon.

Nope, still doesn't work :/

Status
Not open for further replies.