FreeNAS 9.3 DNS points to itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Can anyone point me a direction to solve this problem?

I configure specific DNS servers, and in the end when I click on Network Summary, the DNS server points to it's own IP address.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean you set up some DNS servers (let's imagine 192.168.1.1) and the responses FreeNAS gets point back to 192.168.1.1 instead of the proper address?

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
You mean you set up some DNS servers (let's imagine 192.168.1.1) and the responses FreeNAS gets point back to 192.168.1.1 instead of the proper address?

Hi Eric,

No, that's not the problem.
I configured 2 DNS servers on FreeNAS.
When I go to the network summary, the address of the name server is nome of the one I setup.

D

dlavigne

Did you configure them in the GUI (eg when you click save what you typed in disappears)?

Which build version (from System -> Information)?

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Did you configure them in the GUI (eg when you click save what you typed in disappears)?

Which build version (from System -> Information)?
System Information
Hostname freenas.home Edit
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz

In network/Global configuration everything seems well. When I check the /etc/resolv.conf file the name server is the IP address of the FreeNAS itself.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
System Information
Hostname freenas.home Edit
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz

In network/Global configuration everything seems well. When I check the /etc/resolv.conf file the name server is the IP address of the FreeNAS itself.
And you can't ping or resolve hostnames?

D

dlavigne

Does netstat -rn show the correct gateway? Does arp -a look reasonable?

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Does netstat -rn show the correct gateway? Does arp -a look reasonable?

Yes.
I just find wierd to have loopback with 2 addresses...

The arp shows the addresses of the jails that are in bridge mode. One is using virtualbox the other plex.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
I would like to add that I have name resolution inside plex that is configured using dhcp.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Exactly.

With nslookup, if I change the server I can. One is an internal DNS server the other is a relay DNS server.

So, wait, you have two different DNS servers that return differing results? That's just plain broken. You need to have one unified recursion view. Set up your "relay" DNS server (that's a horrible word by the way) to forward requests for your internal DNS to the internal server. Then *only* use the recursion DNS server.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
So, wait, you have two different DNS servers that return differing results? That's just plain broken. You need to have one unified recursion view. Set up your "relay" DNS server (that's a horrible word by the way) to forward requests for your internal DNS to the internal server. Then *only* use the recursion DNS server.
Yes I do. And they work fine on osx and linux machines. They also work fine in a plex jail... when I go into the shell I have name resolution. It's in the NAS shell where I haven't.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If it works "fine" on other machines, it is only a matter of serendipity that it does so. It doesn't make it a correct configuration, or one that's guaranteed to work on all platforms, or correctly, or correctly on all platforms.

I can point the shotgun at my foot and pull the trigger and say "I enjoy the nice clicky sound", but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or that one day maybe someone won't have loaded it, rendering my assumptions invalid.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
If it works "fine" on other machines, it is only a matter of serendipity that it does so. It doesn't make it a correct configuration, or one that's guaranteed to work on all platforms, or correctly, or correctly on all platforms.

I can point the shotgun at my foot and pull the trigger and say "I enjoy the nice clicky sound", but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or that one day maybe someone won't have loaded it, rendering my assumptions invalid.

I agree with you. Although you have to admit that it's odd me specifying a nameserver on the configuration and the one that gets saves is the IP address of the NAS.

But since it's not a final machine, I'll try a new setup using the 9.10-Stable branch. I am really interested in having updates and specially the FreeBSD 10 hyperviser.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Disabled Samba and also another samba instalation that was running in parallel and the DNS fixed itself. Need to read more about the CIFS service and server emulation. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.