SOLVED Installation - Mountroot Frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Hi,

I have just installed FreeNAS (9.1.1 x64) to a USB 3.0 memory stick. During the boot process FreeNAS is detected but before it loads the mountroot prompt appears and the computer appears to freeze (I am unable to type any commands). I suspect that maybe I haven't setup the memory stick correctly (does it need to be formatted in a special way?). I have looked through the documentation and doesn't make any mention of this. If anybody could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks,

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
One possibility: Sometimes the USB3.0 ports don't work well and people have problems at boot. Try using a USB2.0 port (of course your USB 3.0 thumbdrive will work fine in a 2.0 port), or disabling the 3.0 in BIOS, or what not.

Yatti420

Wizard
It'll be the USB3.0 Port in combination with XHCI.. I had mine going but just had issues with 9.2.0 beta where USB3.0 will most likely be disabled by default for awhile..

Disable XHCI in your bios does it boot from a USB 3.0 port? / is this USB3.0 port even active after this? If this fails move the usb drive to a USB2.0 port and it will boot..

I had mountroot : error 19

dr_sherman

Dabbler
It'll be the USB3.0 Port in combination with XHCI.. I had mine going but just had issues with 9.2.0 beta where USB3.0 will most likely be disabled by default for awhile..

Disable XHCI in your bios does it boot from a USB 3.0 port? / is this USB3.0 port even active after this? If this fails move the usb drive to a USB2.0 port and it will boot..

I had mountroot : error 19

Both - thank you for the responses. Yatti420 - you were correct. I disabled XHCI and it booted just fine (Via the USB 3.0 too)

Thanks again :)

Yatti420

Wizard
Ok it appears your ports dropback to USB2.0 as intended I think.. I will have to recheck mine..

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Next issue - Realtek network card not detected, things are so much easier when they are in a VM!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Oh no.

Sir, if you read the forums, you'll see that using RealTek NICs is VERY VERY VERY strongly discouraged.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Oh no.

Sir, if you read the forums, you'll see that using RealTek NICs is VERY VERY VERY strongly discouraged.

Yes - I had noticed and didn't realise the motherboard used that controller. :( Will have to wait a few days for the new NIC to arrive! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.