Installation corrupts GPT Table (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand

Guru
I've installed several times in the last days for various reasons and for noticed that the installation target becomes "corrupt" during installation. Its ok for the local installation but a secondary installation complains about the other boot device.

Example:
I install FreeNas (9.2 or higher, same behaviour) on USB Disk A.
Then i install on USB Disk B
Then I boot A again and get a warning that the Device Disk B is corrupted:

GEOM: ada0: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: ada0: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

I can recover with gpart recover I found in a thread from CJ, but this happens like all the time?

Is that a known behaviour?
Else - any ideas why that would happen?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How are you installing on USB Disk B? You copying USB Disk A to B?

It's mentioned in the FAQ not to try to copy USB sticks and that backing up your config file is the preferred and only supported method for backing up your configuration.

Rand

Guru
Nah,
I'm using a KVM over IP Switch and load the ISO that as USB powered CD Drive. Similar to IPMI iKVM tech just with a separate device.
Both are installation from scratch, Fresh install.
The only thing in common is the automatically detected .system dataset on the pool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds to me like USB Drive B may not be a good choice for FreeBSD or may have problems. Other than that, I really don't have any other advice. To be honest, I'm not really sure why you are even running 2 bootable USB sticks at the same time. In my 2+ years here you are the first person to ever even think of doing that. So it might just be something that nobody has ever thought of doing so nobody knows you shouldn't do that.

Rand

Guru
Its not USB Stick B specific.
If i boot B up it says A is corrupt;)

I run multiple devices since i do encounter weird errors (-> Panic causing WITNESS option to be enabled ) and i try to isolate the issue (stick, hardware, whatever).
O/c the weird error may be the cause of the corruption as well, thats why i ask whether anyone has heard of it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope, but I guess my advice is "don't run two bootable USB sticks at the same time"... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.