GEOM: ada0: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

eichof

Dabbler
Hello togehter
I get this email message from my freenas installation:
freenas.local kernel log messages:
> GEOM: ada0: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
> GEOM: ada0: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

-- End of security output --

What does this mean? Do I have to worry about it?
Freenas is still running and doesn't show any alerts.

Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
GEOM? So we're dealing with UFS?

Hardware and details please.

eichof

Dabbler
No, I have ZFS.

Hardware:
16 GB Ram
Intel G3258 @3Ghz
3 x 3TB WD Red
AsRock H97-M-ITX

I've read the recovering section, but does the system heal it self?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Do you have you data backed up?
Which version of FreeNAS are u running?
How is your pool configured, Raidz, RAIDz1 ???
Please post (in CODE tags), the output of #zpool status
Thnx!

fta

Contributor
No, I have ZFS.

Hardware:
16 GB Ram
Intel G3258 @3Ghz
3 x 3TB WD Red
AsRock H97-M-ITX

I've read the recovering section, but does the system heal it self?

Yes, it should restore the backup GPT*:

Code:
gpart recover /dev/ada0

EDIT: *Assuming your disk is not bad. If your disk is bad, all bets are off.

eichof

Dabbler
1. The critical data has a backup
2. Freenas Version is: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158
3. It's a raidz

Output of zpool status:

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Sat Sep 19 03:46:25 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: volume1
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h33m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 4 02:33:24 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
volume1 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/2a9442d5-a35e-11e4-9d35-d050995092f9 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/2af34812-a35e-11e4-9d35-d050995092f9 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada0 ONLINE 0 0 0

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Please post output within CODE tags [ ]
Suggest you run a long smart tests on your drives and post the results.
Your output shows RAIDz1, which suggests a mirror configuration
3 x 3TB WD Red
I'm wondering where the third drive is in that output?
Code:
IT
SHOULD
LOOK
THIS

eichof

Dabbler
The third drives id is "ada0".
That drive showed me a lot of chksum errors, I pulled it out and ran a long smart test without any errors. But after a new installation of that drive it didn't recognized the drive, so I had to install it manualy with some code samples on the internet, that's why it has no "gptid" just named it ada0.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                                                                     
  pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                               
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Sat Sep 19 03:46:25 2015                                                         
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                     
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                   
          da0p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     

pool: volume1                                                                                                                    
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h33m with 0 errors on Sun Oct  4 02:33:24 2015                                                        
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                 
        volume1                                         ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/2a9442d5-a35e-11e4-9d35-d050995092f9  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/2af34812-a35e-11e4-9d35-d050995092f9  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            ada0                                        ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, RAIDZ1 is not a mirror--you're thinking of RAID1. The third drive is ada0, indicating that a drive has been replaced incorrectly from the CLI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's no need to pull drives to run SMART tests on them. In fact, you should configure your server to run them automatically on a schedule.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But after a new installation of that drive it didn't recognized the drive, so I had to install it manualy with some code samples on the internet
That is never a good idea.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The reason for the error is someone used the CLI instead of the WebGUI to replace the disk. ada0 has no partition, so the error is expected. Remove ada0 from the zpool, and re-add it *properly* using the WebGUI and the problem will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.