Install TrueNAS Core on Synology?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe (although I wouldn't personally recommend it).

You would have to go down some kind of route like this:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you pay Supermicro $700 for a case, you don't even get something to load an OS on, it's just a chassis. :smile:

I actually do wish that someone would develop a high quality NAS chassis in a small form factor, with a pair of Intel chipset ethernet controllers, expandable memory, etc.

Stuff like the Synology DS416slim is basically impossible without a highly customized hardware design, yet the platform inside is unremarkable compared to larger models. Lots of storage needs do not require the best and fastest high power NAS. It would be nice to have options, though.

Evertb1

Guru
If you pay $700 for a case they should let you load whatever OS you want.
If you pay any amount of money for a Synology NAS you should realize you did not just buy some hardware. You also payed for a pretty rich software environment with a lot of services, apps, etc. all included in the price. Synology delivers a complete solution for your money. So if you want to build your own NAS you are on the wrong track with your Synology.

Last edited:

Oriann

Explorer
...if you payed for a Synology, congratulations you have just bought a crapbox with synology crapware and there is no happy way to change it because its their device and you got what you payed for.

You are off better if you build your own machine with components you need in it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I actually do wish that someone would develop a high quality NAS chassis in a small form factor, with a pair of Intel chipset ethernet controllers, expandable memory, etc.
When I built my new NAS in October 2020, after months of thinking what I actually really wanted, this would have been my preferred choice. I pay quite a bit for electricity (26 Euro cents per kWh) and something small and optimized for power consumption would have been great. Buying iX Systems' gear is not straightforward here, before someone brings that up.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you pay Supermicro $700 for a case, you don't even get something to load an OS on, it's just a chassis. :smile:

The Supermicro SC721 is less than 200€ including VAT. Pair that with a A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F for less than 500€ and you get a small quiet system with 4x Intel Gbit and more than enough power for NAS use. 4 DIMM slots for a maximum 64G ECC memory.

Fits 4x 3.5" hot-plug plus 2x 2.5" fixed plus 1x M.2 plus SATA-DOM plus 1 PCIe slot, so you could probably fit an AOC-SLG3-2M in there for another 2x M.2 NVMe ... though I have not the that card in that particular mainboard - bifurcation could be an issue.

ddaenen1

Patron
...if you payed for a Synology, congratulations you have just bought a crapbox with synology crapware and there is no happy way to change it because its their device and you got what you payed for.

You are off better if you build your own machine with components you need in it.

I agree with all that and TrueNAS is my central storage and media system in the house. However, i do also have an old Synology RS214 running which only has 2 reasons to live: 1. it functions as my syslog server, 2. Photo Station with DLNA so i can show our pictures on our TV and also easily upload remotely. This is the only functionality i truly miss in TrueNAS. I am now looking if Plex can do the same for me and if so, the RS214 will turn into a backup server.