Install plex media server plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrig

Cadet
Hello. I am wanting to set up a free nas box. i am using a old computer with 4 gig of memory, and for the moment just 1 hard drive. will add a 2nd later for backup up information from 1st hard drive. Because i have only 4 gig of memory i was thinking of using ufs file structure instead of zfs. But i am not sure if i can install the plex media server plugin if i use ufs and not zfs. I have xbmc installed on another old computer running openelec. and wanting to point it to my media files on the freenas server when i get set up. Guess the question is can i set up my 1 hard drive using ufs, and install and use the plex media server plugin.

Thanks in advance

danb35

Hall of Famer
Plex itself demands a lot of RAM, and a UFS-only system won't work with any future version of FreeNAS. Do yourself a favor and build a system that meets the hardware requirements, or look at something other than FreeNAS.

sremick

Patron
UFS is no longer supported by FreeNAS as of 9.3 which is already in beta. If you do a UFS install now you are committing yourself to a dead end.

ZFS requires 8GB minimum, more if you are a heavy user. Running Plex/jails can easily require more depending on your files.

pschatz100

Guru
In the very early days of FreeNAS, I ran an old system with 4Gb memory. However, the current versions of FreeNAS are designed to use a minimum of 8 Gb ECC memory and ZFS. When I updated to version 9, I upgraded my hardware as well. My experience with version 9 on my old hardware was not a happy one.

Your old system may work, initially, but you will encounter a variety of weird issues and you will not get any support because your configuration is not supported. It is not just about memory, old consumer motherboards have issues with networking as well.

In short, trying to reuse your old hardware with FreeNAS will be a waste of time. You would be better off either committing better hardware to the task, or using another system that has less rigorous hardware requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.