New to FreeNAS and am attempting to install miniDLNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'll start off by saying that I've never set up a NAS before so this is my first go. I read through the process of setting it up and have done so. However, I'm also wanting to stream files from my NAS through my Xbox 360.

I began reading around for awhile and didn't realize most of the tutorials out there are for FreeNAS 7. I installed FreeNas 9.x so those were of no use.

Then I came across a forum post that said to install the miniDLNA plugin. However, since my machine is ancient, I am using UFS for my drive rather than ZFS. It is telling me that I need to have a ZFS volume to install miniDLNA. Is there any way around this? Or any other options?

I would use ZFS is my system could handle it, but again, my PC is an old one that was collecting dust.

System Specs:

AMD 3700
1 GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB Hard Drive

What are my options as far as streaming audio and video to the Xbox 360? I would buy a new box for my NAS setup if I could afford it. Obviously the hardware on my current one are borderline unacceptable it I want the server to remain stable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. In fact UFS support is being removed after 9.2.0 because so few people use it since the jails/plugins require ZFS. The extra code is causing problems for the developers so simplification of the code is necessary.

Keep in mind that you have 1/2 of the minimum RAM for UFS you should probably wait until you actually meet the minimum system requirements before continuing further. I thought I made it completely clear that using less than the minimum requirements would be nothing but pain, lost data, and an unstable server when I added the statement "If you don't have at least 8GB of RAM with ZFS or 2GB of RAM with UFS, you should consider getting more powerful hardware before using FreeNAS® to store your data otherwise data loss may result" to the manual.

It sounds to me like you need to either spend money on upgrading or consider using a different OS. Unfortunately I have no recommendations for you with that little RAM. Even computers from 2004ish had 2GB of RAM in lower end computers. Resurrecting 10 year old hardware is going to be a challenge to say the least.

Thank you from the info CyberJock.

Yeah I read your manual regarding requirements, I was just trying to make use of the hardware I had sitting around.

What kind of money should I be looking at spending for an old computer? I'm a college student, so I have very little disposable change, but craigslist regularly has computers that are relatively newer than mine with more ram.

Regarding your last comment, I believe my computer is from around 2005 and was actually a higher end computer at the time of purchase. So either I'm wrong in that I bought it in 2005 or you might be slightly off regarding 2gb in lower end computers in 2004. Obviously this doesn't matter as the computer is still inadequate for being a decent server.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, cost depends on alot of things including what is available in your area. 8GB of ECC RAM and a dual core system that is at least 2.4Ghz is a good start.

You'll really have to go shopping for hardware that fits the compatibility matrix for FreeBSD 9.1, then make sure you have a CPU and RAM that can handle the load.

Thanks CyberJock, you've been quite helpful. One last question before I can move forward:

What is the ballpark of price that I should be looking at for a computer with 8gb ram and dual core? ~200? Same thing with quad core, ~$300?

I realize it largely depends on costs in my area, I just want to know a ballpark so I don't end up getting ripped off. I likely won't be purchasing these soon since I'll have to save up for them, but at least I can keep an eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.