install from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya All.

ive looked every where search all over the internet.

RMPrepUSB, unetbootin-windows-581 win32diskimager-binary physdiskwrite-0_5_2-physgui-eng <- for .img or .iso

for format: HDDLLF.4.25

FreeNAS_x86.img
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.img

FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.iso
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64.iso
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86.iso

there have i tried... either it starts F1,F2 or 5 boot drive. but there it only puts out alot of # on the screen.
or i get "its not a boot bla bla" or invalid or corrupted image

what can i do?

tingo

Contributor
What hardware are you trying to use this on?
Some pointers (it's all in the documentation, but I'm in a good mood today):
- *.iso's are for writing to CDs
- *.img's are for usb sticks
- files with "x64" in the name are for 64-bit capable machines
- files wiith "x86" in the name are for 32-bit machines

JaimieV

Guru
thing is. i've tried ALOT of things.
and i have used iso on USB to install it to a harddrive before.
but then i was more or less stupid and installed Debian on the computer.
and yes i have looked at the install thingy. i've googled for 2-3h and tried it all.
i know the hardware works for FreeNAS.

but it seems MANY are so cool and dont want to help.

but thx
tingo a nice reply.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've seen from forum posts that most people that get ##### have something wrong with their boot device(USB, CDROM, etc), their installation, or their computer just doesn't seem to be compatible.

Check to see if you have the latest BIOS, try disabling all the stuff you can and see if it boots.

Ok thx. i'll have a look at that. running 0.5M to my computer and trying now :)

when i comes up where you can choose F1 or F2 i dont have time to hit anything.. but if i do it anyway. if starts with F1 and then #### if i press F2 and reboot with restet then i starts with F2 but still ##

JaimieV

Guru
I'm not trying to be a dick, we get a post or two a week here where people familiar with LiveCDs have tried all sorts of interesting semi-automated ways to get the .iso onto a memory stick, without realising that that's not how FreeNAS8's install works.

The simplest install procedure if you have a 'dd' available is:
http://www.freenas.org/images/resou....3_guide.html#2.4 Burning an IMG File|outline

The simplest install procedure if you don't is to create a cd from either the 64bit or the 32bit ISO, boot off it and use that to install to a USB drive:
http://www.freenas.org/images/resou...nas8.3_guide.html#__RefHeading__424_145473606

After you've used one of those procedures rather than one suitable for a LiveCD -> USB *then* worry about whether your boot devices are supported.

tingo

Contributor
The point is that we can't know what you have tried unless you tell us exactly what you have tried.
Also, the official way to do it works for, well, almost everybody. So, the official way is the way you can hope that other users of FreeNAS are familiar with.
So if you tell us that you have tried a tool "X" to write the image, most people here haven't even heard that tool.

Another thing (if you haven't tried already): try a different usb stick, a different brand if possible.

after alot of reading and trying many things i got it to work...

Vmware.. first i had problems with 64bit thingy then i looked in my bios and change virtual something and i was able to boot freenas64.iso on vmware.
then i took my hdd from the NAS computer plugged it in my windows. and from there was able to install to the hdd..

not hard really but i installed so much from USB before so this was abit annouying oh well problem is over.
thx for some replys was some nice reading anyway now i'm a bit smarter not much but still

aleatorvb

Dabbler
As a side-note: I don't have cd-rom at all in the house. I use VmWare. Mount iso and usb stick inside a vm, install it, move it to the real machine and you're done :).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I used to do that. Now I download the .img.xz file, extract the img file from the xz, then write the img file directly to my thumbdrive using winimage32. Bit faster than setting up a VM and all that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.