Input/Output error while creating pool

stickerey

Cadet
Hi,

I installed Truenas on Proxmox and have an external ssd attached to the machine. I added that drive on proxmox and Truenas sees it:
nwTFbuQl.png

When I want to create a pool, using that drive, I get below error:
Error: Input/output error during write on /dev/sdb

Can somebody please help me troubleshooting this?

Last edited by a moderator:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Rehosted your image here for the convenience of those whose workplace might be blocking imgur. :)

USB devices for main pool storage are discouraged, but may still function. If you remove the external SSD from the VM and let Proxmox address it, are you able to format it with simple LVM?

stickerey

Cadet
Rehosted your image here for the convenience of those whose workplace might be blocking imgur. :)

USB devices for main pool storage are discouraged, but may still function. If you remove the external SSD from the VM and let Proxmox address it, are you able to format it with simple LVM?
I guess I'll be a bit a of burden here, cause I'm very new to the topic, so sorry in advance.

- If you remove the external SSD from the VM and let Proxmox address it - how do I do it?
- are you able to format it with simple LVM? - not sure how to do this.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I guess I'll be a bit a of burden here, cause I'm very new to the topic, so sorry in advance.

- If you remove the external SSD from the VM and let Proxmox address it - how do I do it?
- are you able to format it with simple LVM? - not sure how to do this.
In your Proxmox VM configuration, select the SCSI1 device and choose DETACH.

Then, in the Proxmox UI you should be able to see it under Datacenter -> Storage -> Add as a candidate for a new storage volume.

stickerey

Cadet
I forgot I already added it in the Datacenter Storage. it the ssd256 id one. can this be the issue?

1711058364458.png

stickerey

Cadet
Unmounting, then deleting it, then re-adding it in proxmox did the trick. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction :)