Infuriatiing SMB issue

robodanhereford

Dabbler
Ok, so I am a noob, but I have the freenas all setup and working well with my movie & photo collection streaming to my kodi device, all in all very happy with that.

I had a bright idea of being able to backup my photos from my iPhone to me nice shiny NAS and I relaised I own a program called Photosync which is able to connect to a SMB share... Perfect :)

So I fill in all the details (ip address, username password etc) click done and I get the following error:

530: User not logged in. Permission denied.

Ok so I try my root login username & pwd instead, click done and great it connects :) odd but what the hell. So now I get to choose the destination folder, at this point I mostly get an endless searching with nothing happening or on occasions it will see all my shares, but when I click on the photos share it again just endlessly searches....

So guys, any idea why the same logon details that work in Kodi do not work in this app? Or why will it login with the root details but still not be able to browse the share?

I am tempted to start the whole box again, ive undoubtedly made mistakes along the way but I could do without re-transferring in my 400GB of movies (photos ive just started)

Cheers guys :)

robodanhereford

Dabbler
I tried this but I’m still stuck with the same problem.

I think I will re install free and and start again. It’s still early enough to be doable and with your video I can make sure the shares and users are all setup correctly

PeterWeyland

Dabbler
Ok, so I am a noob, but I have the freenas all setup and working well with my movie & photo collection streaming to my kodi device, all in all very happy with that.

I had a bright idea of being able to backup my photos from my iPhone to me nice shiny NAS and I relaised I own a program called Photosync which is able to connect to a SMB share... Perfect :)

So I fill in all the details (IP address, username password etc) click done and I get the following error:

530: User not logged in. Permission denied.

Ok so I try my root login username & pwd instead, click done and great it connects :) odd but what the hell. So now I get to choose the destination folder, at this point I mostly get an endless searching with nothing happening or on occasions it will see all my shares, but when I click on the photos share it again just endlessly searches....

So guys, any idea why the same logon details that work in Kodi do not work in this app? Or why will it login with the root details but still not be able to browse the share?

I am tempted to start the whole box again, I've undoubtedly made mistakes along the way but I could do without re-transferring in my 400GB of movies (photos I've just started)

Cheers guys :)

Welcome fellow newb ;)
I have used Photosync for my partners bloody iPhone filled with Gb's of selfies o_O, it does work.
My suggestion is let her use plain FTP (on your home LAN) to connect & sync until you get the subtleties of SMB shares nailed.
If you need help sorting t your shares, let us know the details & we will walk you through it. Don't nuke your FreeNAS server, it's not going to help.

Cheers!

robodanhereford

Dabbler
Welcome fellow newb ;)
I have used Photosync for my partners bloody iPhone filled with Gb's of selfies o_O, it does work.
My suggestion is let her use plain FTP (on your home LAN) to connect & sync until you get the subtleties of SMB shares nailed.
If you need help sorting t your shares, let us know the details & we will walk you through it. Don't nuke your FreeNAS server, it's not going to help.

Cheers!
Hello :)

I am glad Photosync does work, and to be honest I dont mind how it connects as long as it works every time.

I tried to setup FTP last night but when I try to connect with WinSCP I get Access Denied, I eventually gave up & went to bed!

Need to try it again when I get home so any help really appreciated

jay.ing

Dabbler
Hello, sorry to resurect an old thread but i too am having issues connecting to my freenas with photosync (Both FTP and SMB). Can someone please walk through the steps.

diedrichg

Wizard
Your users need read/write permissions for the dataset or folder. You would then login to the SMB share with that user's credentials through the app.

jay.ing

Dabbler
Just to be sure, i created a new dataset, 'sync_folder', i created a new user 'sync'. Under permissions for 'sync_folder' i added 'sync' as the user and applied that permission.

When i try to connect via SMB in the PhotoSync app i put in my server, the sync user and password and the location of the 'sync_folder'. on selecting Done it returns a 'SMB Error. SMB server responded with code 7'

I cant find any where what code 7 is?

Any guidance on this would be apreciated.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
I can't find any where what code 7 is?

Yesssss, same over here! This error is driving me nuts for weeks now! :mad:

FreeNAS machine is working perfectly no SMB issues but if I want to use the app Photosync (v3.2.7) to upload photos from my iPhone to FreeNAS via SMB I'm stuck with this error. I can't get no satisfaction connection to FreeNAS everytime there's just this error popping up...

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

free_up.jpg

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yesssss, same over here! This error is driving me nuts for weeks now! :mad:

FreeNAS machine is working perfectly no SMB issues but if I want to use the app Photosync (v3.2.7) to upload photos from my iPhone to FreeNAS via SMB I'm stuck with this error. I can't get no satisfaction connection to FreeNAS everytime there's just this error popping up...

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

View attachment 31291

That's not a very helpful error message. Try downloading a debug file (system->advanced->save debug) and looking in log/samba4/log.smbd. It might give a better idea about what's going on.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
Try downloading a debug file (system->advanced->save debug) and looking in log/samba4/log.smbd. It might give a better idea about what's going on.

Thanks for your quick reply. Did that and when I look inside "log/samba4/log.smbd" there are only these two lines repeating for some 1000 times.

Code:
[2019/06/10 13:52:01.557884,  0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:1054(get_remote_hostname)
  matchname failed on 192.168.1.148
[2019/06/10 13:52:11.660739,  0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:875(matchname)
  matchname: host name/name mismatch: 192.168.1.148 != (NULL)

"192.168.1.148" is my proxmox host. Some proxmox VMs are using some SMB shares on my FreeNAS machine but there are no issues for months they are working perfectly.

Because I also tried webdav with my FreeNAS machine/Photosync and it is also not working I think that maybe it's more a problem of the app "Photosync" which hasn't been updated for over a year.

Thanks for your posts here in the forum they helped me a lot when I had sharing problems! :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for your quick reply. Did that and when I look inside "log/samba4/log.smbd" there are only these two lines repeating for some 1000 times.

Code:
[2019/06/10 13:52:01.557884,  0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:1054(get_remote_hostname)
  matchname failed on 192.168.1.148
[2019/06/10 13:52:11.660739,  0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:875(matchname)
  matchname: host name/name mismatch: 192.168.1.148 != (NULL)

"192.168.1.148" is my proxmox host. Some proxmox VMs are using some SMB shares on my FreeNAS machine but there are no issues for months they are working perfectly.

Because I also tried webdav with my FreeNAS machine/Photosync and it is also not working I think that maybe it's more a problem of the app "Photosync" which hasn't been updated for over a year.

Thanks for your posts here in the forum they helped me a lot when I had sharing problems! :)
FYI, turn off hostname lookups under Services->SMB. That should clean up the log.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
I enabled "SMB 1 support" under "Services/SMB"... Now the "SMB error code 7" is gone but I'm getting "530: User not logged in. Permission denied" via the Photosync app.
But this same share is working perfectly fine with VMs, Windows and Ubuntu Laptops. Just not working with Photosync...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I enabled "SMB 1 support" under "Services/SMB"... Now the "SMB error code 7" is gone but I'm getting "530: User not logged in. Permission denied" via the Photosync app.
But this same share is working perfectly fine with VMs, Windows and Ubuntu Laptops. Just not working with Photosync...
Okay. The fact that the error code changed indicates that the app might be SMB1 only. Are you using password auth for the share?

Mr. Slumber

Contributor

bdl

Cadet
Okay. The fact that the error code changed indicates that the app might be SMB1 only. [...]

I can verify that PhotoSync on iOS uses SMB1. I just experienced the same issue on my Ubuntu box that had SMB1 disabled, and following the instructions at http://blog.robtherock.de/how-to-re...n-ubuntu-18-04-i-e-for-scanners-and-printers/ made PhotoSync's SMB on iOS work fine.

Haven't had a chance to update my FreeNAS box as yet, but re-enabling SMB1 definitely fixed the SMB issue with PhotoSync.

hope this helps
bdl

PS: looks like SMB 2 and 3 support is being added: https://twitter.com/photosync_app/status/1032617984135770113
PPS: dev confirmed it will have this support added Real Soon Now :)

Last edited:

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
dev confirmed it will have this support added Real Soon Now

That would be just great! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
UPDATE 2019.06.16

For those with the problems mentioned above: thanks to some personal help here in the forum (Thank you! :)) I registered as a Photosync app beta tester for IOS, installed Apple Testflight, downloaded the beta app that was made available for me and... BINGO

I had zero/null/nada problems, SMB just works and the app does a phantastic job, lovin' it again :)

If you're interested you can take a look at this photo on the support website of the app. This photo shows that with the next app version there will be a possibility to set the SMB Version inside the app to automatic (or the SMB version you'd like) so there's no need to switch back on the SMB1 version in FreeNAS which for very good reasons is disabled in FreeNAS by default. (again just a little thing that I like very much about FreeNAS)

The rumors that I heared are that the new version of the app is not really far away but ok... ;)

Hope that helps a little bit to "ease the pain"... :)

Constantin

Vampire Pig
.. agreed. I am looking into this App now and there appears to be solid support for both SMB2/3 as well as IPv6 now.

@Mr. Slumber, are you still happy with it? Are you using it with SMB2+?