Increase CIFs windowing speed on SMB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermute000

Explorer
Is there any way to tune the CIFs parameters when using SMB2 so the 'windowing' spins up quicker?

What I mean is: when I copy a file via CIFs, it starts slowly (several hundred kb/s) then over a few seconds ramps up to max (I get around 800Mb on SMB2 over gigabit which is fine considering overhead). This is fine when copying large files but can make copies of lots of small files very slow.

I notice that if I turn on SMB3 it ramps up MUCH quicker, but then I lose the ability to map the share via name, which I require. Is there something I can tune in SMB2 in the CIFs parameters under the hood? (or am I missing something in the GUI?). I know linux SMB will usually be a bit worse than windows native CIFs but I think there's room for improvement. Its not my disks as I get this with both SSD and spinning storage, and like I said, switching to SMB3 pretty much eliminates the ramp-up lag, but its not an option.

Client PC is Win8.1 update 1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure what problem you are having, but I'm definitely not having that problem with SMB2. The first second I'm copying a file i'm typically already over 100MB/sec on my Gb LAN. You sure this isn't a problem on your client and it's not handling SMB2 very well? I'm not saying that's the problem, just brainstorming because this doesn't sound like a server-side problem.

Small files will always be slower than large files. For reasons such as protocol efficiency, disk I/O, etc. While it's easy to saturate Gb LAN with 100GB files, 10 million 4kB files will take orders of magnitude longer to complete.

Whattteva

Wizard
Bunch of small files will always be significantly slower to transfer.
From a programming perspective, you have to constantly open, close file handles, recalculate sizes, and all things already mentioned by Cyberjock. All these operations will incur significant overhead over just opening one giant file.

wintermute000

Explorer
I'll do some more isolation testing with Windows 7. Speed is not the problem is how long it takes to ramp up i.e. around five seconds or more from Windows 8 client

Edit definitely Windows 8 related. From Windows 7 pc no speed ramp up lag

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wintermute000

Explorer
This appears to do the trick, or at least help greatly.

socket options = SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY

Status
Not open for further replies.