Importing HDDs, how long does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~GW~

Dabbler
Hi Guys

Upgrading my NAS from 7.2 to 8.0.3. Have got the system booting and I can see my drives to import in the drop down select list. I select a drive, select UFS and go to import but it is taking a long time, is this normal or is there an issue?

Thanks

GW

Attachments

• import-volume.png
    import-volume.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 249

~GW~

Dabbler
Aha - seems it cannot be done as I am moving from 07.2, re from http://www.freenas.org/images/resou...s8.0.3_guide.html#__RefHeading__430_145473606

'2.5 Upgrading FreeNAS™
NOTE: Before performing an upgrade you must always backup your configuration file, system disk, and all of your data.
UPGRADES FROM FreeNAS™ 0.7x ARE NOT SUPPORTED: the system has no way to import configuration settings from 0.7 versions of FreeNAS™, nor is there any sort of volume importer yet that will preserve data on existing volumes. Attempting to upgrade from 0.7 will result in the loss of your configuration and data.'

So that's a pain in the #&^%$

Is there an option to go from 0.72 to something else and then to go to 8.0.3? Surely there is an update process from one of the 7.x versions.

GW

~GW~

Dabbler
Ok so is the 7.x series still being supported and maintained? Just seems odd to release an update and not have a path from 7.x to 8.x. Is 8.x not necessary and not worth the effort of updating to it?

Cheers

ProtoSD

MVP
I *think* it's being maintained until 8.2 comes out. The 2 versions are completely different, new developers, new everything. Version 8 is completely rewritten. If you're happy with .7, stick with it for now. 8.0x doesn't have all the features of .7 and even when 8.2 comes out it'll take some time to get the bumps out.

Shinu

Dabbler
Hello. just so i understand correctly, even if i had my drives unraided formatted with ufs with soft update in freenas 7, it won't be able to be imported into freenas 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.