If i had to use hardware raid which option is more preferable?

baby27784

Dabbler
hello to all

if i have to use hardware raid which is more preferable: ( i just want share iscsi storage for esxi and if some feature dont work it is ok)

1- raid0 each drive and present separate raid0 drive to freenas and use zfs raid.

2-use hardware raid and present one logical drive to zfs.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
if i have to use hardware raid
You don't have to, there is no excuse for it, and there is nothing preferable about it. You are asking for data loss because ZFS can't monitor the drives properly when you use hardware RAID. Why do you think you have no choice in this?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Of your two stated options, option #1 (individual RAID0 with ZFS on top) is "preferred" - but in the same sense that shooting yourself in the foot is "preferable" to shooting yourself in the leg. Performance could be inconsistent due to the RAID controller cache, and you'll likely experience difficulty getting reliable SMART data, serial numbers or other information necessary to identify drives, which might lead to the need to reboot and get into the SmartArray BIOS if you're unable to pull drive info within FreeBSD.

Assuming the hardware is the DL380 G7 in your signature, you should certainly have the PCIe slot available to put a proper HBA in, and the factory SmartArray P410 wasn't exactly renowned for its reliability in the first place.

If this is purely for a test environment and you're okay with the additional risk involved here, go ahead; but I wouldn't put anything irreplaceable on it.

baby27784

Dabbler
You don't have to, there is no excuse for it, and there is nothing preferable about it. You are asking for data loss because ZFS can't monitor the drives properly when you use hardware RAID. Why do you think you have no choice in this?

thanks for reply.

the company that i setup freenas for that force me to use HW raid and don't let me manipulate server hardware.
unfortunately my reasons didn't convince them.On the other hand I like Freenas and dont want use other.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
thanks for reply.

the company that i setup freenas for that force me to use HW raid and don't let me manipulate server hardware.
unfortunately my reasons didn't convince them.On the other hand I like Freenas and don't want use other.

Their dollars, their decision; and in this case, they're betting on HW RAID being the preferred option. As @Chris Moore says, the option to "do it right" has been removed, so don't do it - implement a non-FreeNAS solution.