If fresh install, Damaged HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlev

Cadet
I'm gonna build my own little home server/NAS. but i have some Q.

If i install FreeNAS on a USB-Stick (16-32GB) or small 40GB 2.5" what happens to my RAID 0 setup if the system goes down, do i just plug a new USB/40GB HDD and install FreeNAS again, and it will se my drives as before, or will i have to format them again :S or how dos it all make sense.

I'm Gonna have 2x2TB WD Green, and 2x4TB WD RED in my system, i have only once triede RAID 0, but to get it op running inside windows i had to format the drives :S and that make no sence to me, (some years ago) because, if i have a 4TB HDD with all my family photo's home videos from weddings and so on, i dont wanna format and risk any thing.

I need a KISS system - Keep.it.simple.stupid :D

Thx alot for your time
Regards
Mikkel

warri

Guru
If i install FreeNAS on a USB-Stick (16-32GB) or small 40GB 2.5" what happens to my RAID 0 setup if the system goes down, do i just plug a new USB/40GB HDD and install FreeNAS again, and it will se my drives as before [...]

Yes, and restore the configuration from a backup.

I'm Gonna have 2x2TB WD Green, and 2x4TB WD RED in my system, i have only once triede RAID 0, but to get it op running inside windows i had to format the drives :S and that make no sence to me, (some years ago) because, if i have a 4TB HDD with all my family photo's home videos from weddings and so on, i dont wanna format and risk any thing.

FreeNAS will format the drives for you. Also I think you want a RAID 1 (or ZFS Mirror in FreeNAS). RAID 0 does not provide any redundancy and is therefore not suitable for any important data. There is an excellent set of slides explaining the various ZFS RAID levels available here.

singlev

Cadet
Nice with simple backup of settings, i like it... :)

Yeah, mirroring, RAID 1, that's what my ide of thinking, not just typing :P

Thx for your fast respons.

BONUS Q: i have triede searcing of compatible hardware, and cant find a simple list, but how does the AMD A8 CPU' doing? full support with the FreeNAS 9.2? (CPU: AMD A8-6600k)

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
You have to ensure that you have ecc memory in your nas otherwise you can't rely on zfs.

Intel hardware is very popular around here since it has been proven to work reliably.

Please read the hardware requirements thread in the hardware forum.

singlev

Cadet
Yeah i have been reading the list, and for "Home server" AMD should be fine for would i could read, allso the twist about realtek ethernet controller. what i could understand, intel and ECC was more about outside security? (and ECC it self.) but hey, maybe i should take another look on the list, have just been reading all day and my brain i popping :S

but thx. will tjeck it out again.... maybe tomorrow :D

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Practical experience is that AMD systems can be problematic, but there is no technical reason that an AMD system cannot work and meet all the requirements.

Poor choice of components plagues builds for both AMD and Intel, which is one of the reasons the hardware suggestions sticky talks in general terms about what works well. We have found certain Supermicro/Intel based systems to be the least expensive practical way to build a high reliability system with minimal unexpected gotchas, but you are free to do other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.