Trying to install 9.2 onto an HDD but it is booting from USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkyBoy

Cadet
Hi all

I'm just making the switch from Windows Home Server 2011 and having a couple of issues starting off. I have a 250GB HDD that i want to install the OS onto then 3x 2TB HDD's that i want to run in raid 5 if possible. If not, can I backup to an external HDD?

Anyway I tried to install from the .iso on a USB stick, and all seemed well. I logged on using chrome on my other PC then I removed the USB and when I restarted it booted back into windows server (head scratching)??

Thanks

warri

Guru
Usually you can set the boot order in the BIOS. Looks like your computer is just booting from a hard drive instead of USB. Also you don't want to waste a whole 250GB hdd for the OS, use a stick instead. Last point: I don't think you want a RAID 5, using a hardware RAID is not recommended when using ZFS. Go for a ZFS RAIDZ instead (preferably RAID Z2).

MonkyBoy

Cadet
Usually you can set the boot order in the BIOS. Looks like your computer is just booting from a hard drive instead of USB. Also you don't want to waste a whole 250GB hdd for the OS, use a stick instead. Last point: I don't think you want a RAID 5, using a hardware RAID is not recommended when using ZFS. Go for a ZFS RAIDZ instead (preferably RAID Z2).

Hi warri

Yeah my boot order is usb then hdd. So when im installing it looks at the USB first, then once ive installed the OS onto the HDD and removed the USB it should look straight to the HDD right?

I'm not too bothered about the 250GB drive at its temporary until i get a small SSD to take its place in the future, its just an old one i have lying about.

From reading, if im going to use ZFS i need 8GB of RAM and I only have 2GB at the moment, I am just wanting to have a play so was going to set it up without ZFS first on the old HDD then when the new SSD and RAM come i'll set it up again with ZFS.

So do you know how i can install the OS onto the HDD please?

Cheers

gpsguy

Since you were able to login using Chrome on your other computer it sounds like you have FreeNAS installed on the flash drive (which is recommended). Put it back in your machine and run it that way.

With 2 Gb RAM use UFS. ZFS on FreeNAS needs 8Gb minimum.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.