IBM DS3524

jsloyer

Cadet
I have a SAS9207-8e adapter and an IBM DS3524 disk shelf.

The LSI adapter has been flashed to IT mode so it’s running as a HBA.

My question is the DS3524 compatible with the LSI controller?

I’ve been able to configure two arrays on the DS3524 and been able to access them, they show up and writes work fine.

Additionally is there a way to configure the DS3524 so it truly acts as a pass through like a Netapp DS4243 with direct access to the drives.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This doesn't appear to be a disk shelf (except insofar as it incorporates a shelf of disks); it appears to be a full RAID storage system.

The DS3524 should be compatible with the LSI controller, but should not be used for ZFS.

configure two arrays

Disk shelves are generally not configurable and never create arrays. These things are signs of a RAID controller.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Additionally is there a way to configure the DS3524 so it truly acts as a pass through like a Netapp DS4243 with direct access to the drives.

Unfortunately "DS" here doesn't mean "Disk Shelf" - there's no true JBOD/passthrough functionality exposed in the firmware. What you really want is the EXP3524 (assuming you need 24x2.5" drives and have only IBM gear laying around) as that's just the dumb SAS expander.

It is possible to disable the writeback cache on the DS3524 series, and make a series of RAID0's, but you'll still be making an additional layer of abstraction. Generally not recommended, as Here Be Unsupported Configurations (and Dragons) and you're relying on the DS3524 to not do silly things in firmware.