I would like to share some of what I learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

tprelog

Patron
I've been using using FreeNAS since 9.10. Recently I've had some intermittent breaks from a busy work schedule and have performed some upgrades and other changes to my freenas. While I've been using FreeNAS for a while I'm far from an expert. Also my busy work schedule prevents a regular community involvement.
That said I've been encouraged to share what learned. Even if it is trivial to an experienced user and may be flawed... It may still useful even only to provide some hints for other new users. Anyway as I prepared to re install FreeNAS and transition all my jails over to iocage I took some notes for myself. I'd like to put them into a relatively simple guide. I use FreeNAS at home as a samba server very few users. So to make better of my system it also serves as my multimedia server and home automation hub. At this point I have servel jails running with my media and automation plus supporting services. While most of these seem to be simple tasks, as a non-expert it still required some time and homework to get this stuff running.
I like to share as a guide the basic steps I've taken to get my FreeNAS setup as home hub. Mainly just a few programs I have running and how got them going in jails with iocage. Where is the best place in the forums to compile such a guide?

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I compile any guides/steps/tutorials in a text file as I go for later reference and to help keep things organized while working and to make sure I don't miss any steps. You can always post the output of the text file once your project is completed.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I like to share as a guide the basic steps I've taken to get my FreeNAS setup as home hub. Mainly just a few programs I have running and how got them going in jails with iocage. Where is the best place in the forums to compile such a guide?
There is also the resources section of the forum. You might look in there or do a general forum search to see if the information is already published.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/

Status
Not open for further replies.