I think something is amiss.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenA

Cadet
New user to FreeNas, thought I did enough research and thought I did everything right, maybe it is, but I'm having some slowness issues, maybe.

Setup is,

FreeNas 9.1.1
Supermicro X10SLH-F MNL-1464
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 3.1G 8M
16gb ECC memory
IBM 1015 flashed to IT mode
6 4tb Western Digital Black Drives setup as one ZFS2 pool

My original setup consists of 2 ReadyNas's with about 3tb of data.

I built this FreeNas system so I could move away from Raid5, I may still keep a ReadyNas for non-critcal/redundant storage.

Anyways, I've been trying to move the data to the FreeNas with Rsync and it was slow as all heck. I read to use the FreeNas box to do the pull which I changed but still no difference. I think I estimated it would take almost a month to move everything over at the rate it was going.

So I switched to FTP and that took about 2 days, my interface traffic says I hit 200-300mb on the big files, but slowed down to about 20mb on the small ones. If I do it with CIFS from my windows box I get about 105mb's But windows takes forever figuring out how much there is to copy and then of course my AV scanner kicks in too and things get funny, so aborted that route.

I tried to verify my backup as the FTP said some files didn't transfer (too long, etc...) and after 3 days of running it still wasn't done and decided to just abort it.

I switched to just doing properties but found that my ReadyNas box would finish about twice as fast as my FreeNas box.

Some observations, when I was doing the FTP and I did a properties on the FreeNas box to verify completed folders, it would kill my FTP. It just bogged it down and FTP would stop responding. It would resume again after properties finished or if I aborted it.

I have Rsync running now and even though the ReadyNas is blinking away showing activity, the FreeNas is sitting idle.

The reports show little CPU activity and very little system load, memory use is high though, but I think it's something else that may be causing a problem, maybe.

I haven't been able to spend much time into looking into it more, but if someone knows which direction to point me to start looking, I'll head there.

Thanks,

Steven

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. FTP is a poor way to handle the situation. It's fast, but I've seen people lose alot of files to corruption thanks to ftp.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to do CIFS share copying. If your ReadyNAS shares itself out as CIFS why not do a mount from FreeNAS itself?

Go to the freenas box locally and use this command:

mkdir /path/to/some/new/folder

mount_smbfs -I 1.2.3.4 //username@nasserver/share /path/to/your/new/local/folder

Then go to that folder and you should see all your stuff. You can choose to do 1 of 2 things.. cp(copy) or mv(move).(google the commands to figure out how to use them)

Either way, you'll get almost line speed unless the ReadyNAS can't keep up.

You're welcome!

StevenA

Cadet
Yeah, didn't want to do FTP either, but the ReadyNas wasn't co-operating and after a week of messing with it I gave up.

Thanks for the mount command, I used to work with Unix back in the day, haven't messed with FreeBSD that much yet.

I did get it mounted and copying things over as we speak, decent speed right now with an average of 82mbs.

Any idea on the other stuff or is it normal?

Steven

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Didn't really consider them as they weren't really well-thought-out ideas to begin with.

StevenA

Cadet
Yeah, that's what you get from a newbie, it's all ok now except for some re-naming issues since I wasn't using 8 bit characters.

Sometimes it's quick, other times it seems slow, I was running two moves on it and then tried to get a listing and it seemed to jump and skip at times, almost like it wasn't multitasking.

Overall though it seems to be running good and I have much better results using the command line then going through windows. It's just easier on the windows side to have multiple folders open and see where I need to put things.

I've run multiple copies from both nas's to the FreeNas and even from my workstation and it keeps plugging along, did see a weird spike on the interface though saying I hit 800mb for a couple minutes.

Only thing I was thinking of was upping the memory some more, but after I get everything situated it shouldn't be so bad.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.