I should probably not have updated, help me get my NAS back please?

Chatsubo

Cadet
Tonight I finally caved and updated from 9.10 to the latest 11.

Sigh, so she's dead. The UI (which used to be on freenas.local but now is only available on the IP) just tells me "Connecting to FreeNAS ... Make sure the FreeNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.".

SMB shares are not available. Jailed apps appear to all be down.

I can ssh, and this seems the relevant (but I wouldn't really know where else to look) thing:

Code:
root@freenas:~ # cat /var/log/middlewared.log
[2020/07/04 22:15:06] (INFO) middlewared.__init__():742 - Starting FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 middleware
[2020/07/04 22:15:06] (DEBUG) raven.base.Client.set_dsn():272 - Configuring Raven for host: https://sentry.ixsystems.com
[2020/07/04 22:19:20] (ERROR) asyncio.default_exception_handler():1604 - Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished coro=<Middleware.__initialize() done, defined at /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py:1321> exception=OperationalError('no such column: system_settings.stg_crash_reporting')>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
    return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 381, in execute
    execute = super().execute(query, params)
sqlite3.OperationalError: no such column: system_settings.stg_crash_reporting

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1367, in __initialize
    await self.__plugins_setup(setup_funcs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 839, in __plugins_setup
    await call
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pwenc.py", line 81, in setup
    if not await middleware.call('pwenc.check'):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call
    app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in _call
    return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pwenc.py", line 59, in check
    settings = self.middleware.call_sync('datastore.config', 'system.settings')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1157, in call_sync
    io_thread=True, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1180, in run_coroutine
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 428, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 384, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in _call
    return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 214, in config
    return self.query(name, None, options)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 192, in query
    qs, options.get('extend'), options.get('extend_context'), options.get('prefix'), options.get('select'),
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 95, in __queryset_serialize
    for i in qs:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 256, in __iter__
    self._fetch_all()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1087, in _fetch_all
    self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 54, in __iter__
    results = compiler.execute_sql()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 835, in execute_sql
    cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 94, in __exit__
    six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/utils/six.py", line 685, in reraise
    raise value.with_traceback(tb)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 381, in execute
    execute = super().execute(query, params)
django.db.utils.OperationalError: no such column: system_settings.stg_crash_reporting

Other than that, I need help to get it up again. I do kinda need this thing to be running. So any means necessary. I did save my config to my PC so if I have to just reinstall 9.10 then I'm happy to do that too.

I really should've gone with my gut on this.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You could just reboot back to your 9.10 boot environment. When the boot menu appears, select 4.

1593903535444.png

Yorick

Wizard
9.10 to 11.3 will not be a good experience.

Paths that others have been successful with:

9.10 -> 11.1 -> 11.2 -> recreate or migrate all jails to iocage -> 11.3

9.10 -> 11.2U1(!) -> 11.2U8 -> recreate or migrate all jails to iocage -> 11.3

Not sure whether the move through 11.1 also requires 11.2U1 as an intermediate like when going directly to 11.2 .

Chatsubo

Cadet
You could just reboot back to your 9.10 boot environment. When the boot menu appears, select 4.

Thanks, I was able to get it back up. Will that selection survive a reboot, or is there something I need to do to make it permanent?

9.10 to 11.3 will not be a good experience.

Paths that others have been successful with:

9.10 -> 11.1 -> 11.2 -> recreate or migrate all jails to iocage -> 11.3

9.10 -> 11.2U1(!) -> 11.2U8 -> recreate or migrate all jails to iocage -> 11.3

Not sure whether the move through 11.1 also requires 11.2U1 as an intermediate like when going directly to 11.2 .

Thanks, but, my curiousity is cured.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Thanks, I was able to get it back up. Will that selection survive a reboot, or is there something I need to do to make it permanent?

Look in Sytem->Boot. Make sure your 9.10 environment is depicted with the "On Reboot" flag. You may also want to delete the 11.3 boot environment.

scruffypaws

Cadet
You could just reboot back to your 9.10 boot environment.

Just a heads up since I just had to look it up... for anyone who doesn't know how to reboot back to an older version you can do so by running the following while SSHd in as root...

List the versions you have
$ beadm list

Activate an older version (Change <VERSION> to the number you want that was on the previous list such as... 9.10.2-U6
$ beadm activate <VERSION>

Reboot
$ reboot