I need to replug the USB2Serial converter, that my serial UPS works

rosabox

Explorer
I have a "new" UPS for my TrueNAS (TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1), it's an APC Smart-UPS 3000 RM and it has only a serial port.
As there is no serial port on the TrueNAS server, I'm using an USB to Serial converter (FTDI chip).
I plugged the converter, connected the UPS, configured the UPS service in TrueNAS and all was working fine.
But today I had to reboot the TrueNAS server and after the reboot I got: "connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused"
After unplugging and replugging the USB to Serial converter, it again works fine.
I looked to me as a permissions problem.
The UPS is connected to /dev/cuaU0 with uucp/dialer owner, there is also /dev/ttyU0 with root/uucp owner created, when plugging the converter in and I think this device had a different (root/wheel) after the reboot.
I have tried to change the group from wheel to uucp but that didn't help.
After a boot there two serial ports /dev/cuau0 and /dev/cuau1, after replugging the converter, there is a "new" port /dev/cuaU0.
I'm out of ideas.
What could be the problem and how to fix it?

Every time you connect or disconnect a USB peripheral and reboot the device bus enumeration may change.

Have to tried to leave the port setting set to auto?

rosabox

Explorer
I didn't try the auto setting.
I did try to boot the server without the converter and there are two serial ports /dev/cuau0 and /dev/cuau1 - the same as when booted with the converter, it seems that the converter port /dev/cuaU0 is not created during a (re)boot but is created after a replug.

rosabox

Explorer
I have tried the suggested auto setting and I get: "connect failed: "Connection failure: Connection refused" (after replugging the converter, the port /dev/cuaU0 is there)
Manually set to /dev/cuaU0 it works.
I have disabled a serial port in BIOS (there is only one there), after a reboot, without the converter, I get /dev/cuau1 only.
After connecting (plugging in) the converter, I get /dev/cuaU0 and /dev/cuau1.
After a reboot with the converter still plugged in I get: "Connection failure: Connection refused" again and there is no /dev/cuaU0

rosabox

Explorer
After upgrading to TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1, the problem is still present.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This sounds like some issue with devd configuration to me. Unfortunately, I'm only motivated enough this morning to throw that out as a hint in case it helps you in your search.

rosabox

Explorer
I have looked at devd and the only relevant thing (I have found) in devd.conf is:

Code:
# Let the init(8) know there's a new USB serial interface it might
# want to run getty(8) for.  This includes device-side tty created
# by usb_template(4).
notify 100 {
    match "system"        "DEVFS";
    match "subsystem"    "CDEV";
    match "type"        "CREATE";
    match "cdev"        "ttyU[0-9]+";
    action "/sbin/init q";

But frankly I have no idea what, why , how ...