I need help understanding NFS Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raksasas

Dabbler
I have been using SMB mounts for a few years now. I am wanting to move my daily linux systems over to use NFS over SMB. I have already created the NFS shares under "Sharing -> Unix (NFS). I have made sure "nfs-common" is installed on my local systems. I have also ran "sudo mount 192.X.X.X:/mnt/misfits/files /home/raksasas/nas-files". It appears that it is read-only because went I "touch nas-files/test123" I am getting permission deny. Now after doing some reading on it I have to create accounts on my FreeNAS system matching the accounts on my local system. Is this correct? Now, this bothers me a little bit or maybe I am just being lazy. I do not want to create new accounts for all my systems in FreeNAS. I used different accounts on all of them. Now I understand having separate accounts for my wife/kids. Is there a way to get away with only one account (FreeNAS side) and still be able to use different accounts on the local machine? Like for SMB I just use the same commands/credentials file with some tweaks here and there across my systems.

Thanks. (Probably will not be around the rest of the day to check/respond).

Raksasas

Dabbler

Sorry just now getting back to this. I have looked at the link you provided. I get that it gives permissions based off of UID's. It doesn't give any mention of using groups and I am presuming user groups. I do not want to go the "all_squash" method. I did find the following... I guess I will review it in the morning and maybe get some insight to what I want to accomplish.

https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-provide-nfs-shares-for-group-collaboration/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/map-nfs-clients-to-servers-owner-group.45319/

Raksasas

Dabbler
Am I on the right track with the following? Example GID is 2001. Is there any best practices for creating the GIDs?

1. I need to create a group on FreeNAS with GID 2001
  2. I need to create a group of my linux systems with GID 2001
  3. GID's Need to match on my FreeNAS (2001) System and Linux Systems (2001)
  4. Give permissions for the Datasets to the FreeNAS Group.
  5. Put my linux user(s) in to that group I created on my linux system(s)
  6. Put my FreeNAS smb user into that freenas group for smb share access

Status
Not open for further replies.