I have a asustor 302t, want to run FreeNas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garrettstump

Cadet
I would love to run freeNas but i know the asustor 302t does not meet the requirements for that. so what would be some good options? Ideas are welcome, i enjoy tinkering

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

wblock

Documentation Engineer
That looks to be proprietary, non-expandable hardware. You might be able to run a different operating system on it, but given the proprietary nature, some hardware might not be supported. 1 or 2GB of memory is not enough for general-purpose ZFS usage, with or without FreeNAS. There are other NAS operating systems without ZFS that use less memory, but it's kind of scary to put a lot of data on some of those filesystems.

If it were me, I would probably look at selling it and putting the money toward hardware that is capable of running ZFS.

garrettstump

Cadet
Thank you for the information but these are things that I kind of already know. what I'm asking I guess is what are your thoughts on a pretty simple build that does a lot of multimedia streaming while having about 2 or 3 clients active at one time I do transfer data onto the Nas simply so my brother-in-law has access and he does the same for me.

Dice

Wizard
Have you read the hardware recommendations and cyberjocks newbie slides?
they are very helpful. links in my sig.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I don't really understand what you are asking. If you can't replace the device, well, it already is built to be a consumer NAS. Maybe just use it as-is with the manufacturer operating system?

garrettstump

Cadet
Sorry if I wasn't clear I am willing to build one but I want to build one that is capable of doing what my 302 is doing the only reason I'm getting rid of the 302 is because they have horrible support and I prefer open source things anyway so I am willing to build I am just looking for recommendations because I usually do not deal with Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.