SOLVED I guess I just don't understand permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxburn

Explorer
OK I have a smb share that has user1 and group wheel as the owner. I also created a user2 and added it to group wheel. On a windows box I can open the share with credentials user2 and be able to read write fine.

I also have a ubuntu machine with the smb share mounted with credentials user2. I don't know why but I can't write changes without elevating to sudo to do it. Why is that?

At the moment I've got radarr and sonarr saying they can't add media folders because they can't write changes on the share in freenas. They appear to run under user2 in this example because they specifically give error "Folder is not writable by user user2"

On a windows box I specifically went in and added user2 to a folder in the share with full control. On the linux box I still can't make changes in that folder without sudo.

Based on this advice I even tried the uid switch in /etc/fstab but that didn't seem to do anything.

Code:
//10.0.1.23/freenas /mnt/freenas cifs credentials=/home/scottjal/freenascreds,vers=3.0,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

Tearing my hair out here just trying to do all the things I used to do with a Synology.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why did you add regular users to Wheel? Don't do that.

Maxburn

Explorer
Well when I set the thing up the guide I was following mentioned group wheel was simply the default group and left it with that and I didn't investigate. I searched around a bit and just found wheel is more on par with su so I guess I need to change things up a bit.

Maxburn

Explorer
OK so some time to work on this again, I now have a user I'm calling read write user which is supposed to have permission to read and write my share.

rw_user is in group rw_group now. Sudo is unchecked under the user and group, and microsoft account is checked under the group.

Permissions under the share have rw_user and rw_group as owners with type microsoft and I set permissions recursively.

The SMB share is still set to apply default permissions though I don't think I've touched that lately. Guest access is off.

Using android devices I can mount the share using the rw_user and make changes, sounds good. In Ubuntu mounting that same share I can't make any changes, now even if I elevate to sudo to do it. Sounds like I'm done on the FreeNAS side and I need to figure out why I now need to do something special in Ubuntu, though I can't figure out why I never had to do that before when it was mounting a SMB on a synology.

Edit, solved
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2405781&p=13815455#post13815455

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The SMB share is still set to apply default permissions though I don't think I've touched that lately.
That's not a setting, it's a command to reset the permissions to default (owner full, everyone read). Don't check it unless you want to do that.

NgM Dat

Dabbler
OK so some time to work on this again, I now have a user I'm calling read write user which is supposed to have permission to read and write my share.

rw_user is in group rw_group now. Sudo is unchecked under the user and group, and microsoft account is checked under the group.

Permissions under the share have rw_user and rw_group as owners with type microsoft and I set permissions recursively.

The SMB share is still set to apply default permissions though I don't think I've touched that lately. Guest access is off.

Using android devices I can mount the share using the rw_user and make changes, sounds good. In Ubuntu mounting that same share I can't make any changes, now even if I elevate to sudo to do it. Sounds like I'm done on the FreeNAS side and I need to figure out why I now need to do something special in Ubuntu, though I can't figure out why I never had to do that before when it was mounting a SMB on a synology.

Edit, solved
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2405781&p=13815455#post13815455

Hi Maxburn,
I had the same issue with Emby Server using the FreeNas CIFS.
Thanks for your sharing the link to the solved solution.

NgMDat.

Status
Not open for further replies.