I cant get Plex to install on trueNas please help

Carpe_Diem

Cadet
I don't know if you can help . but I hope you do I am trying to install a plugin and get (newbie to TrueNas)

" Install Error: MoviePlex had a failure Exception: FileNotFoundError Message: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'pkg-static' Partial plugin destroyed"

Platform: FRENAS-MINI-XL
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U4
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz

Thank you

ThreeDee

Guru
Create Jail and then go to that Jails "shell"
You can search the forums or just a general internet search for how to properly create a jail if you don't know how.. same with how to manually install Plex or whatever else you might want to install

If you want Beta/Cutting Edge Releases, use this command to install:
Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

If you DO NOT want Beta/Cutting Edge Releases, use this command to install:
Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver

That’s it! Plex is now installed, but now we need to configure it a bit.

Automatic Start
We will now need to set Plex to start automatically every time the jail starts. It’s pretty simple, all you need to do is run the following command:
Code:
sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
OR
Code:
sysrc "plexmediaserver_enable=YES"

(source: https://digimoot.wordpress.com/2020/10/05/truenas-plex-manual-install/ )

follow this guide to manually update if you want

Manual installs are easier to maintain than the Plug-ins are ..generally

Last edited:

hertzsae

Contributor
Ignore the previous poster saying to install plexmediaserver-plexpass. That is the beta channel. It once was the case that plex released two binaries with different features which is why it's named plexmediaserver-plexpass. Now the plexpass features are controlled via license. If you only want regular releases, install plexmediaserver. If you have plexpass AND want to try beta builds, then install plexmediaserver-plexpass.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also ignore the manual update instructions if you install Plex via pkg. To keep it up to date just run pkg upgrade periodically and that will keep it up to date without breaking anything.

ThreeDee

Guru
Ignore the previous poster saying to install plexmediaserver-plexpass. That is the beta channel. It once was the case that plex released two binaries with different features which is why it's named plexmediaserver-plexpass. Now the plexpass features are controlled via license. If you only want regular releases, install plexmediaserver. If you have plexpass AND want to try beta builds, then install plexmediaserver-plexpass.
I listed both options .. OP can choose which option based on whether or not they have a Plexpass subscription or not
Also ignore the manual update instructions if you install Plex via pkg. To keep it up to date just run pkg upgrade periodically and that will keep it up to date without breaking anything.
My plex is working just fine .. ?
There were a few updates that didn't display anything in "Settings" .. but last several+ updates since have been perfect
pkg updates are not "as up to date" if that is important or not

regardless though .. whatever method OP wants to use .. do a manual install of some kind (search forums for different methods/scripts) and leave the Plex plug-in alone .. :wink:

danb35

Hall of Famer
OP can choose which option based on whether or not they have a Plexpass subscription or not
That isn't how it works any more. The Plexpass subscription gives access to additional features that are part of the non-Plexpass binary. The Plexpass binary is a beta. Don't install the Plexpass version unless you want to be running a beta version. Otherwise, if you just want the Plexpass features, download the regular version, and sign in with your account.
pkg updates are not "as up to date" if that is important or not
Plex users seem to have a pathological need to be up to date. I confess I don't understand it.

ThreeDee

Guru
That isn't how it works any more. The Plexpass subscription gives access to additional features that are part of the non-Plexpass binary. The Plexpass binary is a beta. Don't install the Plexpass version unless you want to be running a beta version. Otherwise, if you just want the Plexpass features, download the regular version, and sign in with your account.

Plex users seem to have a pathological need to be up to date. I confess I don't understand it.
then OP can decide if they want cutting edge or not

Some of us are update junkies and don't need old/tried and true and like to test latest "greatest" .. like some that run nightlies instead of "stable" versions of TrueNAS Core/Scale

I run Windows 11 dev version too on my PC .. and Vanguard test drivers for my 6700xt .. and .. and .. played an online video game while it was still in early access for over a year .. so it's not just Plex, just so you understand the scope of my problem. :oops:

danb35

Hall of Famer
then OP can decide if they want cutting edge or not
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Neither @hertzsae nor I is saying not to use the Plexpass version. What we are taking exception to is your advice to install the Plexpass version if OP has Plexpass--that's simply poor advice. If you have a Plexpass subscription, and you're an "upgrade junkie" and want to be on the bleeding edge, then install the Plexpass version. But if you're a Plexpass subscriber and just want to use those extra features, install the regular version.

ThreeDee

Guru
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Neither @hertzsae nor I is saying not to use the Plexpass version. What we are taking exception to is your advice to install the Plexpass version if OP has Plexpass--that's simply poor advice. If you have a Plexpass subscription, and you're an "upgrade junkie" and want to be on the bleeding edge, then install the Plexpass version. But if you're a Plexpass subscriber and just want to use those extra features, install the regular version.
I'm not sure what part of "OP can decide" is confusing .. or obtuse .. ? I changed my initial post in case OP doesn't read past my post ...

Carpe_Diem

Cadet
Well I got it installed just the way ThreeDee described and it is starting up. So thank you for that , I mounted the media volumes , but Plex decides not to show my media , but I am sure that's a plex issue as it decides to do the same thing on my freenas now. Thank you for all your responses
2021-07-08_8-42-35.png

Carpe_Diem

Cadet
Create Jail and then go to that Jails "shell"
You can search the forums or just a general internet search for how to properly create a jail if you don't know how.. same with how to manually install Plex or whatever else you might want to install

If you want Beta/Cutting Edge Releases, use this command to install:
Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

If you DO NOT want Beta/Cutting Edge Releases, use this command to install:
Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver

That’s it! Plex is now installed, but now we need to configure it a bit.

Automatic Start
We will now need to set Plex to start automatically every time the jail starts. It’s pretty simple, all you need to do is run the following command:
Code:
sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
OR
Code:
sysrc "plexmediaserver_enable=YES"

(source: https://digimoot.wordpress.com/2020/10/05/truenas-plex-manual-install/ )

follow this guide to manually update if you want

Manual installs are easier to maintain than the Plug-ins are ..generally

worked very well the manual install Thank you ThreeDee