I can not upgrade my Plex Media Server Plug In, (with in), FreeNAS

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Hello Everyone. I'm very green when it comes to anything in the family of ix. My SERVER system info is as follows:

System Information
Hostnamefreenas.local Edit
BuildFreeNAS-11.1-U7
PlatformIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Memory3893MB
System TimeThu, 10 Dec 2020 21:54:43 -0800
Uptime9:54PM up 2:02, 0 users
Load Average0.29, 0.32, 0.35

Here is my issue.

I can not get FreeNAS 11.1-U7 to upgrade my Plex Plug In to the latest version. When running "pkg update", from a "shell" within the Plex plug in's jail itself, I get the following:

"root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # pkg update
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest, pleas
e wait...
pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/Latest/pkg.tx
z: Not Found
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ #"

So, BEFORE I ran this "pkg delete -f ports-mgmt/pkg" command, (causing the above message), I ran "pkg update" an received an error that stated something like this:

"Repository ... has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database"

I ran the ""pkg delete -f ports-mgmt/pkg" command in an attempt to fix the issue with not being able to do the update to start with. Now I'm in a mess because I do not know WHAT I deleted or how to fix my blunder. More over, I'm still left with a Plex Media server that won't launch from one of my Roku devices. Over the last 24 hours or so, Plex has started to complain about my current version. Plex REFUSES to allow me access to ANY of my movies, via a Roku with a wi-fi connection and the Plex App. The error I get on the Roku with the Plex app states I MUST upgraded to the latest version of Plex and flat out denies access to my movie collection until it's upgraded. I can still, however, access my Plex media server movie collection via CIFS and SSH, using my windows machine, (WIN 10 Pro ,64 BIT). I thought that was odd.

It may be worth noting that I do have a database backup BEFORE I ran the ""pkg delete -f ports-mgmt/pkg" command, (I think). Anyway, I have a backup. I am not sure how to restore it, (if I had to). I could Google that should one think a "restore" is in order.

Thanks to all for any help in fixing this mess of mine. I thank each of you, in advance, for your valuable time. I certainly look forward to a solution.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am guessing this system has been running a long time with nearly no updates? You are several versions behind on FreeNAS and the OS version dictates what version of plugin you are able to install. Support for that old version of the underlying FreeBSD has been discontinued. You will need a newer version of FreeNAS to get a newer version of Plex. The old version of FreeNAS you have was using warden jails and the new version uses iocage jails. So, it is possibly even time for new hardware because the new version of FreeNAS also wants a minimum of 8GB of system memory.

Lots of problems here. I don't really think you will be able to move forward without newer hardware. Advice can be provided if you think that is an option.
--
Sorry for the typing mistakes. I was using my phone while commuting (not driving) this morning.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe try pkg-static update -f or maybe even pkg-static install -f pkg

Although with the infrastructure on the FreeBSD side mostly gone for that release, I wouldn't hold much hope.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS-11.1-U7
Just to give you some idea how far behind your system is, these are the releases since the one you are using.

11.2-RELEASE
11.2-U1
11.2-U2
11.2-U2.1
11.2-U3
11.2-U4
11.2-U4.1
11.2-U5
11.2-U6
11.2-U7
11.2-U8
11.3-RELEASE
11.3-U1
11.3-U2
11.3-U2.1
11.3-U3
11.3-U3.1
11.3-U3.2
11.3-U4
11.3-U4.1
11.3-U5
12.0-RELEASE
12.0-U1

There is a way forward, but don't try to jump all the way to the latest version unless you want to build a whole new NAS and just copy your data over.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Maybe try pkg-static update -f or maybe even pkg-static install -f pkg

Although with the infrastructure on the FreeBSD side mostly gone for that release, I wouldn't hold much hope.

You are correct. Both the above commands fail miserably. Thank you for the suggestion. I believe Chris Moore is correct. It's time for "new hardware". At least "new" to me. :smile:

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Just to give you some idea how far behind your system is, these are the releases since the one you are using.

11.2-RELEASE
11.2-U1
11.2-U2
11.2-U2.1
11.2-U3
11.2-U4
11.2-U4.1
11.2-U5
11.2-U6
11.2-U7
11.2-U8
11.3-RELEASE
11.3-U1
11.3-U2
11.3-U2.1
11.3-U3
11.3-U3.1
11.3-U3.2
11.3-U4
11.3-U4.1
11.3-U5
12.0-RELEASE
12.0-U1

There is a way forward, but don't try to jump all the way to the latest version unless you want to build a whole new NAS and just copy your data over.

Thanks for all the advice. I was just looking at the "TrueNAS Mini E". ebay has none used. They are a little expensive new. $699.00 and no drives. Do you think I could upgrade the memory in my current system from 4gb to 8gb, install the latest FreeNas os, then copy my data back over? Or, could I preform an "in place" upgrade of the freenas os, leaving data in place while upgrading the freenas os, (but backed up of course). I have about 3tb, (almost full now). I'm looking at an upgrade to 6tb VERY soon. My current memory is not ecc but has worked well over the years. I have two 3tb drives that are "mirrored".

I also have a "server" that MAY use ecc memory. I bought is at auction several years ago. The downside is it's LOUD. Little heat is required in this room during the winter due to the heat it produces. It's unclear what it would add to the monthly electric bill being on 24/7.

I would have to get some specs to talk about that possible option. I might work on that. I'm open to suggestions. Used equipment is ok. What I have now was used and has served me well, up to this point, even with non-ecc memory.

I look forward to your response. Thanks for your time. Have a great day.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
At least "new" to me.
All my servers have been made with parts from eBay, so I certainly understand that. Are you interested in suggestions?

CROWN ME

Dabbler
All my servers have been made with parts from eBay, so I certainly understand that. Are you interested in suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am open to suggestions. Much of this ZFS / NAS stuff is Greek to me.

I'm thinking I can get by with (2) 6tb drives for now and mirror them as I have been doing. Does this protect from a single drive failure? Hardware suggestions? I noticed you have not embraced my idea of just upgrading current memory. Thanks again for your time. I look forward to suggestions.

CROWN ME

Dabbler

no_connection

Patron
That is a 14 years old server. Powering it for a year will cost more than you bought it for (I hope). It is even older than what is in your first post.
Each FBDIMM module is about 5-7W alone.
I doubt any controller that comes with it supports larger drives than 2TB and even if it does you probably want/need to replace it anyway with a proper HBA.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
That is a 14 years old server. Powering it for a year will cost more than you bought it for (I hope). It is even older than what is in your first post.
Each FBDIMM module is about 5-7W alone.
I doubt any controller that comes with it supports larger drives than 2TB and even if it does you probably want/need to replace it anyway with a proper HBA.

Thanks for the reply. You make a valid point concerning the power consumption of that server. Any suggestions? I really do not want to spend around $1500.00 for a "TrueNAS Mini X" Just yet.

no_connection

Patron
The suggestion is not to get it. You get ripped off no matter how you look at it even if it would be free. Granted you could run it for a year and look for something better in the meantime if you already got it.
I ran a HP ML350 G5 (about the same generation) for 5 years and it kinda hurts to calculate how much it cost during that time.

I don't know about you or where you are from but I got a few DL360 G7 for free cause they are old enough to not really be usable professionally. And if you would buy them it would be for almost a symbolic sum to cover the work handling them. Don't get me wrong them more I use them the more I like them but they are really on the edge of acceptable to have running.

There shuold be no reason why you can't find great deals on used server parts that is not too old to be worth using.
300$ shuold get you a decent sandy bridge generation, and if it supports regular DDR3 you get RAM for almost free. DDR3L is a bit more cost I think but not much. I could not see a difference in power draw between DDR3 and DDR3L and internet told me it was about 0.5W per stick. Some servers do need DDR3L tho so you need to keep that in mind.

The transition to flush out less green servers and to make place for AI is going to shove most of the E5-24/26 V2 out of server halls for cheap and that is probably the oldest you shuold be getting if you plan to use it for any length of time. Some models got better performance with V2 some don't.
Do stay away from E5-2x07 and those that don't support turbo boost. Since they don't clock down ether. Go to ark.intel.com and verify.
I look at PassMark to get an idea how CPU will perform.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
The suggestion is not to get it. You get ripped off no matter how you look at it even if it would be free. Granted you could run it for a year and look for something better in the meantime if you already got it.
I ran a HP ML350 G5 (about the same generation) for 5 years and it kinda hurts to calculate how much it cost during that time.

I don't know about you or where you are from but I got a few DL360 G7 for free cause they are old enough to not really be usable professionally. And if you would buy them it would be for almost a symbolic sum to cover the work handling them. Don't get me wrong them more I use them the more I like them but they are really on the edge of acceptable to have running.

There shuold be no reason why you can't find great deals on used server parts that is not too old to be worth using.
300$ shuold get you a decent sandy bridge generation, and if it supports regular DDR3 you get RAM for almost free. DDR3L is a bit more cost I think but not much. I could not see a difference in power draw between DDR3 and DDR3L and internet told me it was about 0.5W per stick. Some servers do need DDR3L tho so you need to keep that in mind.

The transition to flush out less green servers and to make place for AI is going to shove most of the E5-24/26 V2 out of server halls for cheap and that is probably the oldest you shuold be getting if you plan to use it for any length of time. Some models got better performance with V2 some don't.
Do stay away from E5-2x07 and those that don't support turbo boost. Since they don't clock down ether. Go to ark.intel.com and verify.
I look at PassMark to get an idea how CPU will perform.
Thank you for your suggestions. Everything you said makes sense. I may not go a server route as this is only going to be primarily for personal home use anyways. What would your thoughts be on a Dell T-3500 workstation? Four-core i7 8 to 16 gigs of RAM. I thank you for your time. As always, I look forward to your response.

no_connection

Patron
Look at what generation T-3500 is, it was decent 10 years ago, I did install a few of them and remember wanting them back when they where new, granted it's not horrible for the 50$ you might pay for it and it's better than the last dell but IMO your time is worth better. I want you to walk away with something good not just the cheapest of last last gen.
There shuold be plenty of smaller LGA 1150 around. I bought a TS140 with quad core E3-1226 V3 and 16GB RAM for 500$ new and still use it as a workstation.
Or Dell T20 for 250$ new but add RAM to that.

If you are fine with 4 drive bays you could probably pick up some decent 1U with 32G RAM and Ivy bridge or Haswell in them. Granted you have to figure out how to handle boot drive properly so you are not left with USB for that.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
OP you should have @Chris Moore pick out a budget ebay system for you. He's a whiz at finding old server hardware that still has a lot of life left in it for something like FreeNAS. It can be done, I just picked up some hardware to play around with off ebay for around $370 that would make a fantastic FreeNAS system.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
OP you should have @Chris Moore pick out a budget ebay system for you. He's a whiz at finding old server hardware that still has a lot of life left in it for something like FreeNAS. It can be done, I just picked up some hardware to play around with off ebay for around $370 that would make a fantastic FreeNAS system.
I did in fact tell Chris Moore I WAS interested in suggestions. I am patiently waiting for his response I know people that have built systems from ebay parts/systems. The KEY is knowing what to buy and making sure it's all compatible hardware. Thanks for your response. I thank you for your feedback.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Look at what generation T-3500 is, it was decent 10 years ago, I did install a few of them and remember wanting them back when they where new, granted it's not horrible for the 50$ you might pay for it and it's better than the last dell but IMO your time is worth better. I want you to walk away with something good not just the cheapest of last last gen.
There shuold be plenty of smaller LGA 1150 around. I bought a TS140 with quad core E3-1226 V3 and 16GB RAM for 500$ new and still use it as a workstation.
Or Dell T20 for 250$ new but add RAM to that.

If you are fine with 4 drive bays you could probably pick up some decent 1U with 32G RAM and Ivy bridge or Haswell in them. Granted you have to figure out how to handle boot drive properly so you are not left with USB for that.
I took a look at these suggestions. Thank you for trying to help me out. I'm waiting on some suggestions from Chris Moore. I will then make a decision. Thanks again for your time. You have been very kind and helpful.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I did in fact tell Chris Moore I WAS interested in suggestions.
Sorry. We are still trying to put some things back together after Hurricane Zeta. I have been doing manual labor in most of my free time. I will take a look at what is available for a good price as quick as I can. Prices on eBay for server hardware had spiked up sharply last time I was looking, but we will soon see what is there.

CROWN ME

Dabbler
Sorry. We are still trying to put some things back together after Hurricane Zeta. I have been doing manual labor in most of my free time. I will take a look at what is available for a good price as quick as I can. Prices on eBay for server hardware had spiked up sharply last time I was looking, but we will soon see what is there.
I understand. Thank you for your most recent update. I look forward to your response when you have time to do a little research on your end. Best wishes putting things back together. I know how hurricanes go. I too was in one not long ago.