I am stumped :( New to FreeNAS but stuck at first hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiboman

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have downloaded and installed FreeNAS without any problems I have set up volumes in storage , made two users , made a dataset for each user, setup sharing for each user and gave them the correct permissions (I think)

Now my problem is when I go to my windows machine and click on Network , its shows the FreeNAS I click on that and it shows both users I have made when I click onto the first user it asks for name and password etc which I give it and that allows me into the folder and I can place data in there no problem , now when I click on the other user it does not ask for a password and when I try to place any data into it it says Destination folder access denied you need permission to perform this action ?

I have set up each user in exactly the same way , I have deleted all users etc and set it all up time and time again and can only ever access one user from my windows 10 machine

please, please someone tell me what I am doing wrong

Redcoat

MVP
Did you give yourself permission to access the other share?

Aiboman

Cadet
Hi Redcoat, I don't have a clue :) How can I check ? all I can say is that I have setup both users in same way and checked and doubled checked everything as far as I can see but whatever I can do I can only successfully make just the one user that I can access and put data onto

Redcoat

MVP
How can I check ?

A couple of resources for you to take a look at:

1 - Windows permissions here

2 - Samba permissions here

Both authors are regulars here so they and many others will be able to answer follow-on questions. Search this forum also - try "Windows permissions" for starters. These are frequent thread topics here.

Aiboman

Cadet
Ok I am getting somewhere now , I went into Dataset of the user I cannot access and changed the Owner (group) to the other user that I can access and it now allows me into that both users from my windows machine and to create folders and place data into those folders , all things I could not do before

So have I done that right now ? it just seems to be trial and error for me and the moment :)

Although why is it not asking me for the passwords of both users ?

Aiboman

Cadet
Ok so I have found out that having both users belonging to the same group means that one username and password will allow access to both user folders and that something I do not want , I need in total 4 users each private from eachother and that is one I cannot do at the moment , I can make one user and have full function but cannot add any others ( well can add them but cannot access them )

Status
Not open for further replies.