HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 - compatibility with TrueNAS

trionic

Explorer
Back in 2014 I built this FreeNAS box:

And then I added another 4U chassis and more RAM:

It's been a great system and I remain grateful for the advice from the community here. The problem is that the thing's too damn loud and takes up too much space. I also have a 4U server chassis. So in my office I have 12U of chassis and I want to replace the lot with a single box that has at least ten 3.5-inch hotswap bays on a backplane and two 5.25 bays, ample processor power and memory for TrueNAS, VMs and whatever else I need to put on it. Oh and it needs to be quiet.

I have struggled to find a suitable empty tower chassis in which to build a new system. The closest is a Supermicro 743TQ-1200B-SQ but they're expensive and old and unavailable here in the UK. Desktop tower cases are not usually suitable because they do not have externally accessible hotswap bays on a backplane.

I was close to buying a 16-bay QNAP TVS h1288x (even though there are no external 5.25 bays) but their security is horrible and over the years I have come to really like and respect FreeNAS.

So I came across the HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10, which look well made and have all the features I want, even though they're a bit larger than I wanted. Compatibility is the main concern.

I did search for an answer but couldn't find anything specifically relating to the ML350 Gen10.

- Is the ML350 Gen10 backplace compatible with FreeBSD? Can it be switched to a passive mode?
- Is there other proprietary hardware in these things which would make them incompatible?
- Is this a stupid idea and if so what other suggestions do you have? NAS chassis, tower chassis or pre-build servers.

Thank you for your help.

trionic

Explorer
I bought the QNAP.

And immediately installed TrueNAS SCALE on it :grin: All is working perfectly so far.

The QNAP is no substitute for proper server-grade hardware but it suits my requirements at this time. Hopefully I'll be in a position to do a proper "home lab" rack project in the future, but I can't right now.